Canon 14x Lens Availability Frustration at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon 14x Lens Availability Frustration

First, thanks again to all who have answered my previous questions. I'm settled now on getting an HM700 (as opposed to the HM100) and the Canon 14x lens (because I'll be doing a fair amount of indoor/close-quarters work, so need a slightly wider lens than the Fuji).

But my dealer, who has talked to the area rep repeatedly, says that there is just no word out of JVC about just when the Canon lens will be available, perhaps not even by the end of June. The price promotion on the Fuji 17x lens has been extended until the end of June as well (at least here in the US).

If I knew a definite date (in the near future), I could make plans around it. But what if the wait is until late July or even August? I'd be giving up on work I know I can get in this summer, not to mention that I'd like to do some demo reel footage while there's still spring foliage.

Some have proposed getting the camera now with the Fuji lens, and then selling that lens later when the Canon is available. But my dealer tells me that there is no guarantee that the Canon lens will be available as an unbundled item, and there is no list price for it. (I suppose I could hope to find someone wanting to swap a Canon for a Fuji).

Someone else recommended the Fuji 13x3.5 as a great wider lens, but it is very expensive.

I may just have to give in and buy the camera today and get a medium-price wide angle adapter and just live with it.

Anyone else hear anything different from their dealer or rep?

Can anyone recommend a wide-angle adapter (I don't think I'll need more severe than a .7) which mates well with the Fuji 17x and can still accept filters, lens hoods, etc. which won't break the bank?
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

It will be in July (not the beginning of April), but the Fujinon 13x is a good lens, but very expensive. The people in USA are lucky to buy the 17x from Fujinon, but in Europe only the really bad Fujinon 16x will be sold. And an upgrade to the 17x is hard to get.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #3
New Boot

"...but in Europe only the really bad Fujinon 16x will be sold."
Which is why people in Europe will be buying the Sony EX3 or the Panasonic HPX301 – so as marketing strategies go it's right up there with the Edsel.
David Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The HPX301 low-cost-optic produces also some CAs but thats a cheap optic for a under 10k Euro-Cam, the CAC works only in the horizontal and correct vertical lines. With a better optional optic on the HPX301 like the 17xFujinon or the new Canon 14x, the picture quality might be better.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems