Service menu on HM-700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Service menu on HM-700

The post enquiring about the hm100 service menu reminded me that I do have one hot pixel on the new HM-700. I'm not worried - I'm sure this will be correctable as on the HD series - hopefully with a simple user accessible procedure as that was.

A little experimenting failed to find it. Using the routine from the GY-HD series - holding focus assist while selecting menu, does give the firmware version, but only an option to exit.

I noticed this only when shooting on a dark theatrical set with an external monitor, but would like to catch it before my next shoot. JVC service wasn't available today (Saturday).
Old May 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Dead Pixel

You must change your recording mode in menu and
with a new reboot the dead pixel will be detected,
I see it at last on a roadshow. I see a dead pixel in the viewfinder
and the JVC-man said it can`t be - also in the LCD-Display. So he
called by iphone with the JVC-service and they told him to check
the firmware-version at first and then change the recording mode.
This need a restart with reboot and activates the dead-pixel-detection.
After that, a second change back to the former recording format.
And I see after that procedure no dead pixel, but the HM700 comes
new really out of the box with a attached Fujinon 13x3,5 and SxS-Device,
with an IDX-V-Mount-Batteryback.

Last edited by Eric Deyerler; May 23rd, 2009 at 02:13 PM.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Major Player

I might be missing something in the description here. I've changed the recording mode multiple times, this initiates a short "reboot" into the new resolution setting, but doesn't affect the hot pixel. From my understanding of pixel masking or compensation, this would be a more deliberate task than a change of recording mode.

From the firmware check screen, one must first exit to initiate the recording format menu. Is there perhaps a more complete reboot? I've also turned the camera off on one recording mode before going to another.

I suspect there is something else to do, but I'd be happy to try more specific step by step instructions if you are convinced of the steps Eric.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #4
Major Player

well thanks Shaun

I got back for ma shoot in Orlando and guess what I see a stuck pixel on my videos ! 13 hours of footage the good thing is I have software to remove it in FCP .But seriously is there a menu option so I can clear this pixel . I remember in my JVC 5000 there was way to get into the uitlities to do this . Oh well lol .I hope my client doesnt notice that dead pixel.

Doug
Doug Tessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Just found one on mine. 40 days old camera. Is this a problem of this camera? Have you found how to solve the problem?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Marcello, this is not a problem with the camera, it's to be expected with ccd's of this type. The fortunate aspect is that there is an internal method of fixing it.

It is a us-r friendly simple routine to mask/compensate for a hot pixel. I've asked for permission to publish it here (as there was for the GY-HD series), but until then, JVC will provide the steps on request.
Old May 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Marcello,
Yes, you now officially have ONLY 921,599 pixels. Woe is you!
Yes. It's a smart interpolation averaging the 8 neighboring pixels.
Honestly, this is perfectly normal, and in fact the routine is probably a standard part of the factory setup, with a certain number of missing pixels accepted before rejection. My not-so-old HD200 had at least 6 corrected pixels.

You'd be much more frustrated having a camera without this capability, which used to be only on the megabuck cameras. It isn't a JVC issue, you will hear about this on all brands of pro cameras.

BTW, one of the known ways in which pixels can be lost is exposure to gamma rays, which is most commonly occurred during air travel at high altitudes. Good to check for this after a flight. One think I've wondered about is whether this risk could be lessened by wrapping the front part of the camera body in foil or something? I do have some lead film bags left over from the old days. Remember those plasticky reels you had to take to the lab before you saw your image?
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Sean, hi Marcello,
is your ccd-pixel-problem solved with the white points in the service menü?
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM   #9
Major Player

protecting against cosmic rays

Sean, I was wondering about that just yesterday.

I shuttle back and forth between Geneva and Berlin , often with camera (a 251).
While I've never had a dead pixel after a flight (maybe because of the short distance the plane flies at lower altitude?) I was thinking of wrapping the camera anyway in thick aluminium foil or something similar. Lead I think is too brittle and heavy.

Maybe there's some material that could be used to line the inside of a Pelicase?
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Help pl..

Hey guys..
even I need to know how to fix the dead pixel problem on my HM100. Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks.. I can't immediately take it to my dealer so wondering if I can do it on my own.. Thanks...
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:40 AM   #11
Trustee

I have read here that there is no way to fix a dead pixel on the HM100 at home. The camera has to go to a JVC service center... unless there is new information in the last few weeks.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I posted that a little while back.

I rang JVC UK, and spoke to tech support for those models - they said Yes for the HM700 but that the HM100 had to be plugged in to a computer / diagnostic to run the pixel masking. It's one of the reasons I am holding off on my purchase. Along with the confusion about some of the manual operations.
Les Howarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #13
Major Player

I own a HM700 and I am not able anymore to do the PIXEL COMPENSATION procedure.
I have a dead pixel. I've done this procedure before but seams not possible with this new firmware.

I have Firmware SPL1030 V0301.
I do the correct procedure:

1) Switch on while holding DISPLAY button
2) Press FOCUS ASSIST on the body and MENU together.
3) Enter ADVANCED MENU

The option is there (in secondo position) but if I go up or down it skippes it.
I just cannot select PIXEL COMPENSATION.

Any ideas?
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Same to me !!!

I tried and the option is just skipped when you try to select it !!

But I found why, You need to select 720p 60p, if you select 720 and 50P it doesn't work at all !!!

Give a try you will see :-)
Mike Laisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

yes you must in 720p60 mode HQ.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems