cinesaddle & camera cradle comparison at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Major Player

cinesaddle & camera cradle comparison

I was thinking of getting a cinesaddle Original Australian CineSaddle :: CineSaddle :: Stabilizers & Steady Devices :: Tripods, Heads & Stabilizers :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech
but found something similar and less expensive.
ikancorp.com: CameraCradle™
Does anyone have the camera cradle by Ikan is it as good as the cinesaddle?
What I like about the cinesaddle is that it is smaller than the
cradle but a little heavier. This would be used with my HM-100.
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
Trustee

B&H has the Ikan camera cradle for $79.95. I think it's worth trying. And it looks like you are in New York, so you can go look at it and see how it suits you:
Ikan | CC01 CameraCradle | CC01 | B&H Photo Video

I have a CineSaddle and think it's worth it. It is very lightweight, so I don't think weight is a consideration if the Ikan is also lightweight.

The Ikan has some nice features , like the belt and the side pockets for the wireless receivers. The CineSaddle can be easily rigged on the outside of a car.

I don't know how the Ikan size compares to the CineSaddle sizes. However, if the Ikan is very lightweigt with the same type of "beads" inside, I would probably get the Ikan now.

The CineSaddle is virtually indestructable, and the cover on the Ikan may be a little more lightweight, but I don't know. But for mor than $300 difference, the Ikan is worth a shot. If you don't like it you can send it to me. Mind though, I don't have an Ikan, but I do have a CineSaddle, and if there is no alternative (such as the Ikan) the CineSaddle is worth the high price.

The problem with most beanbag type supports that I have seen is that they are too heavy. The CineSaddle and now the Ikan (it seems) are not.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
I was thinking of getting a cinesaddle Original Australian CineSaddle :: CineSaddle :: Stabilizers & Steady Devices :: Tripods, Heads & Stabilizers :: Equipment Sales :: Abel Cine Tech
but found something similar and less expensive.
ikancorp.com: CameraCradle™
Does anyone have the camera cradle by Ikan is it as good as the cinesaddle?
What I like about the cinesaddle is that it is smaller than the
cradle but a little heavier. This would be used with my HM-100.
Regarding size, the weight is not an issue. The Cinesaddle is very light.

However, it appears that the Ikan is quite large, and if you are carrying it around, one of the smaller CineSaddles might be a better choice.

Here are the CineSaddle sizes (choose "comparison table" on the menu at left):
cinekinetic
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Major Player

I have the Camera Cradle and at least on the one I got the craftmanship was very poor. Some seams already show signs of wear and the pad of the shoulder strap ripped. Ikan is going to send me a new one, hopefully a better one. I can´t compare it to the Cine Saddle though since I never used one but I would consider a Tiny Saddle or a Micro Saddle anyway since the Camera Cradle is pretty big for the HM100. Abel CineTech carries them in New York and you should be able to find out which fits best. Besides that I would not want to miss a device like the Camera Cradle anymore since it really works great. It also makes for a nice pillow or seat when you are out hiking, which I did last week. It is a lot nicer than dragging around a tripod, the only problem is that you have to find elevated spots and can´t pan properly. For under 100 bucks I think it´s a must-have item but I would not spend almost 400 bucks for it.
Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Matthias Krause; June 14th, 2009 at 05:30 PM.
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Major Player

I think I'll try the Camera Craddle first and see how it works. If I don't like it
I'll try the smaller cinesaddle.
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Major Player

Buy a large bean bag, or make one, or construct your own cushion device. It will do the same job and save you hundreds
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Buy a large bean bag, or make one, or construct your own cushion device. It will do the same job and save you hundreds
Thats exactly what I did. I had an old soft canvas small duffle bag which is stuffed with packing material. Lightweight, and stable with the camera settled on top of it. It has a few bungee cords tied to it, and it's served me pretty well. It lives in the back of the car.

Not sure how much I'm missing, but I know how much I'm saving!
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #8
Major Player

If I can do it myself for under $20 and not spend to much time with it then I'll probably do it. I just need to know what type of beads are used. thanks
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #9
Major Player

From what it looks like the material was used similar to popcorn used in packing boxes.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #10
Major Player

Well, not in the Camera Cradle. They use very small white Styrofoam beats about the size of a pin head. Spending the time to search for them and than finding/making a proper bag is not worth it in my opinion. And the Tiny and the Micro Saddle are "only" 80 and 90 bucks also...
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems