Timeline sequence preset for FCP and 35Mbps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Timeline sequence preset for FCP and 35Mbps

Early this week I will have the chance to test an HM700 complete with the SxS recorder. I am really, really excited to put my hands on it and test the workflow in FCP.

If I record in 19 Mbps mode I suppose I can use the sequence presets in FCP like I am used to with my HD111s. But what sequence preset do I use for the 35 Mbps? Should I run an XDCam EX timeline like the EX- series by Sony, as this is the same standard?
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Major Player

I have an EX1 and a HM 100, and use the HM100 in the 35mbs XDCAM MOV mode. I'm able to use both types of files in a XDCAM EX sequence and they both appear 'native' to the sequence, that is, the clips don't require rendering in that type of sequence. Hope this helps.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM   #3
Major Player

In current version of FCP 6, you can use easy setup to choose the (XDcam EX) mode you are shooting in. No use for the SxS with a FCP workflow - definitely shoot in .mov mode.
Old July 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks so much, Sean and Keith.
It worked as a charm. No problems at all. I started an EX- timeline and encountered no problems. And what an efficent workflow. The fastest ever.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

And the best preset under Final Cut Pro 5.1.4?!
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Major Player

No installed preset in FCP 5. I think you can edit in native format using the open source codec out there. see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1032439-post1.html
You'd have to make your own preset.
Old July 6th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

With Components for Perian, it works for import and playback, but it don't work native,
only with 1080i50 25 Mb/s (like HDV 1080i50).
Old July 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Sean, do know that possibility
Aulich & Adamski - english version Blog Archive 720p50 Capturing & Editing in Final Cut Pro
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
I have an EX1 and a HM 100, and use the HM100 in the 35mbs XDCAM MOV mode. I'm able to use both types of files in a XDCAM EX sequence and they both appear 'native' to the sequence, that is, the clips don't require rendering in that type of sequence. Hope this helps.
Hello:
I am an EX3 owner/user and am considering purchasing an HM100 as a second camera. I am pleased to hear that clips from both cameras can coexist natively in an FCP timeline but I am curious as to how well they cut together?

Thank you in advance.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Ron EX1/3 and HM100 use exact same codec, so FCS2 can't tell the difference. The only thing is you'll have to use Log and Transfer for your EX3, you can natively record in .mov on your HM100, so you can just copy/paste files and place them directly onto time line - saving you one step. As these cameras use exactly the same codec there should be no issues with editing them on one time line. You might want to look through the menus and change the settings, so the shots look the same from these cameras.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Rogoz View Post
Ron EX1/3 and HM100 use exact same codec, so FCS2 can't tell the difference. The only thing is you'll have to use Log and Transfer for your EX3, you can natively record in .mov on your HM100, so you can just copy/paste files and place them directly onto time line - saving you one step. As these cameras use exactly the same codec there should be no issues with editing them on one time line. You might want to look through the menus and change the settings, so the shots look the same from these cameras.
Hello Robert:
Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the file wrapping or unwrapping issue with the EX series ( I use either Sony's EX transfer software or Calibrated Q) but my primary concern was with appearances, meaning, when you cut from an EX3/1 clip to an adjacent HM100 clip is there an obvious visual difference?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wilk View Post
Hello:
I am an EX3 owner/user and am considering purchasing an HM100 as a second camera. I am pleased to hear that clips from both cameras can coexist natively in an FCP timeline but I am curious as to how well they cut together?

Thank you in advance.
Hi Ron

I have done a few projects intercutting the 2 cameras. They are definitely not a perfect match, even when you white balance them to a white card and seem to require post color correction to get them matched more. I think the HM100 has a bit of a green cast compared to the EX1. I'm still waiting for the experts such as Tim Dashwood or others to give us more hints about in-camera settings.

In addition the resolution and image quality of the HM100 vs the EX1, the EX1 is definitely a higher-res and has a more 'solid' and less 'video' image quality, edges on the HM100 have a bit of that 'video' look and darker portions of the images exhibit a 'smear' on the images overall. I can't describe it better than that. Again, though with some work on the in-camera and post they can be brought more in-line.

I'm working on some projects that will wind up on Youtube that have the 2 camcorders used in an interview situation, intercutting between them, I'll post a link when they are up, maybe that will be of some help.

All that being said, the HM100 is a useful camcorder for various reasons (CCD and size/weight) and I think with tweaking in-camera and post they can be matched up 'well enough' to be acceptable to all but the most discerning audiences.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Hi Ron

I have done a few projects intercutting the 2 cameras. They are definitely not a perfect match, even when you white balance them to a white card and seem to require post color correction to get them matched more. I think the HM100 has a bit of a green cast compared to the EX1. I'm still waiting for the experts such as Tim Dashwood or others to give us more hints about in-camera settings.

In addition the resolution and image quality of the HM100 vs the EX1, the EX1 is definitely a higher-res and has a more 'solid' and less 'video' image quality, edges on the HM100 have a bit of that 'video' look and darker portions of the images exhibit a 'smear' on the images overall. I can't describe it better than that. Again, though with some work on the in-camera and post they can be brought more in-line.

I'm working on some projects that will wind up on Youtube that have the 2 camcorders used in an interview situation, intercutting between them, I'll post a link when they are up, maybe that will be of some help.

All that being said, the HM100 is a useful camcorder for various reasons (CCD and size/weight) and I think with tweaking in-camera and post they can be matched up 'well enough' to be acceptable to all but the most discerning audiences.
Hi Keith:

Thank you for your honest and informative reply. I had anticipated such a response and with that said, I suspect that I will postpone the purchase of the HM100 with the hope that something else will come along in the near term. I spend enough time in post already (AFterEffects, Boris Red, etc.) that having to put time into accomplishing an "almost match" between the EX3 and the aforementioned is hardly worth the effort.
Thanks again.
Ron
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM   #14
Major Player

Ron, where the camera excels is size vs. image quality. I am in the process of working on a climbing documentary. Primarily we are using HVX200, however for 2 days we used HM100. After experiencing pain of slogging up to 10 000 ft with HVX200 (which only is about 6lbs) I decided to charge my credit card and buy one. The worst shots are the one you don't get, so I want to get my shots. Of course if you drive to the location, it might not be the one for you. But if the size is important, then this is the camera to get. Also it has full auto mode- try to do adjustments in sub-freezing temps with wind without gloves! I want to have an option of just using auto- mode in such conditions.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems