mono clips not stereo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
New Boot

mono clips not stereo

On my HM700 I cannot figure out how to get my audio to record to a mono ch1 & ch2 clip. When I bring my clips into Final Cut the audio is stereo with ch1 as L and Ch2 as R. I really need to be able to have two mics going, one to ch1 the other to ch2, and then in post be able to select and manipulate each channel individually without having to pan and duplicate tracks. I have combed through the menus and the manual to no avail. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing. thanks for any help.

KG
Kevin Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Very, very simple if I understand you correctly. You route the audio with the switches just above where you plug in the mic's.
Donald Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Kevin

I think what you are saying is that in FCP you would like to control the levels and pan of ch1 and ch2 individually. This is actually a simple thing to do.

When you bring the HM700 clips into FCP they default into a single "stereo" pair where ch1 is panned to left and ch2 is panned to the right and any adjustment in level adjusts both channels simultaneously. This is the way the HM cameras flag the audio when encapsulating to quicktime. You could manually open each quicktime and change it in Quicktime Player Pro to two mono tracks but that would take too much time and it is easy to deal with this in FCP. (BTW I tried writing an Applescript applet to do change the source quicktimes but the channel assignment doesn't seem to be part of the Quicktime scriptable library.)
Name:  1 stereo.png
Views: 261
Size:  7.0 KB

When you edit a clip into the sequence this "stereo pairing" is indicated by 4 little green triangles.Name:  stereo pair indicators.png
Views: 603
Size:  1.8 KB

You can unpair your stereo tracks into separately controllable tracks by selecting all your audio clips and hitting option+L on your keyboard. You can also use the same option in the Modify menu. This is a toggle function so you can also re-pair them later.
Name:  stereo pair menu.png
Views: 616
Size:  36.0 KB
After unpairing ch1 will still be panned left and ch2 panned right but you can pan them to the center and adjust their levels individually.

You can also now use copy and the contextual menu option "paste attributes" to adjust one clip to center pan and then paste that attribute to all other clips in your sequence.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Tim, you're a rock star!
Kevin Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems