What tripod are you using with your HM700? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old December 1st, 2009, 04:57 AM   #1
New Boot

What tripod are you using with your HM700?

I have a friend in the video distribution biz who recommended and ordered me a Vinten Vision 5 AS with two-stage carbon to use with my HM700.

I got to shoot with the sticks over the weekend. Now this is a fine set of sticks, but I feel like it is almost overkill for this camera.

This tripod (everything) goes for around $3500. Now I'm prepared to pay for a solid set of sticks, so I wasn't too surprised by the price, but if I could get the job done for less than that, and invest that money in some other gear I'd like to go that way.

There are so many out there if you guys had a suggestion, or just what you are using and how it's working out I'd appreciate it. I don't wanna skimp, just curious of other options for this particular camera.

$3500 does seem a bit high for this size cam, but I'm not sure what to compare it to.
Jay Kaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM   #2
Major Player

It all depends on what you are shooting. If it is high action, sports etc, go for the smoothest action you can get, if not drop down to a Manfrotto or lower end Vinten, with practice, they will all do the job. I see from your previous post that you are going to be shooting mainly Weddings/events. A lower end tripod such as the Manfrotto 503/525 would be more than adequate.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Colin, I'll take a look at that. I don't need long range action too much, but I do want a solid tripod with a good fluid head for smoothness.

I just don't know what the good tripods are as you go down the line, they all sound adequate in the descriptions. Like I said this Vinten 5 was great, just seems like a lot of dough for this small-ish cam.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I have some Manfrotto's. They are at best.. OK if bought used and cheap. A Libec 55 for $700 is well thought of. Haven't used one myself, but bang for the buck and decent it's well thought of. Otherwise skip over Miller $1,400 DS20, but you might want to check one out in person regardless, and go for the $2,000 and up tripods. There really is not much very good under $1,000 say that is very good. Libecs seems to be the favorite for mid sized cameras on a budget sticks.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
New Boot

No I'm not looking for budget at all, understand you have to spend a little, thats why I let him order this Vinten system.

However after using it seems like I could get something comparable for this size camera for less than the $3700 price tag.

After reading around here it seems like I could get good quality at this size cam for $2,000-$2500, and wondering if there are specific suggestions in that range that folks are already using and working out ok, because I don't have a place to look at them in person, just kinda guessing thru B@H right now.

thanks again guys, just tryin to spend the dough wisely as I can, and I have to return this Vinten set soon if thats the case.
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM   #6
New Boot

If nothing else just list the tripod that you are using with your HM700, curious the options that work well with this specific camera.

thanks.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Wrangler

For most purposes I use the Manfrotto 516 with 515MVB 2-stage legs. It's light enough for EFP work but sturdy enough to balance the camera with full matte box setup and still do smooth pan and tilt work.
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Tim, I used that package for my 5000U with and AB Hytron 120, a receiver haning off the back an AB light, a shotgun (mic not weapon) and a cold can of cola. I liked it a lot. BTW that package weighed in at about 24 pound or so and the tilt and pan worked a treat and the legs held as steady as a rock.
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:43 PM   #9
New Boot

Thats the specifics I was wondering about Tim, I researched that tripod a bit and seems solid for a lot less money. Thank you.

The Vinten I'm trying right now is $3700 actually, just feels like too much for this small-ish shoulder cam, rather save or spend the extra 2K on more lights or other accessories.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:06 AM   #10
Trustee

Jay,

Sachtler probably have something a lot cheaper and still practical for your camera. I'm thinking maybe an FSB-6 or FSB-8 system, depending on the camera weight. An FSB-8 system can be had for around $2000 at B&H.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I'm using the Libec LS38a with my HM700. I mostly shoot football (soccer) matches, so any tripod I have gets a lot of constant movement and needs to tilt/pan smoothly both at slow speed and when whipping quickly from side to side. I'm very happy with my LS38a, so I'm glad to recommend it. However rather than take my word for it check out the reviews that can be found on the web. Pricewise, you can find them new for under 400GBP in the UK, or for about 635USD from B&H.

Have fun,
Jim.
James McBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM   #12
New Boot

Thats quite a big price range being offered, from $635 to $2000 to the $3700 tripod I was testing.

Hmmm, I'm leaning toward the manfrotto Tim suggested, good enough for him good enough for me, but also looking at a couple of used ones too.

Thanks again guys, appreciate the input, these are big decisions on my little budget.
Old December 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #13
Major Player

It is very important to foresee what lenses do you plan to use in the future.
I use the HM 700 with a Sachtler DV6 with the standard 5,5x16 lens and works fine but when I put the Fujinon 3,5X13 I have to switch to the Vinten vision which is on a 100 bowl and is heavier. In this respect I am searching right now a second hand Sachtler 18 or something similar.
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Like Tim,

I chose light weight, quick setup, and convenience. My choice was the Manfrotto 516Pro Head. I also went with the Manfrotto 524CFI Canon/Sony Lanc Remote Zoom Control for the Canon 14X lens. The tripod ended up being the 351MVCF Carbon Fiber Lightweight Pro with 2-stage legs. It's plenty sturdy for my needs, as I'm out in industrial areas and along Railroads all the time as a one man show. I really like the quick setup and the fact that it is not a boat anchor. I've never had a problem with movement, vibration, or camera shake. It stands it's ground quite well even when out in high winds and the cam on top. I can't complain, as I get very smooth action out of the pan and tilt with the 516Pro and it's well balanced with the 700U + on top.

Not the Roll Royce of setup's...and not a bank buster either...

Steve,
Bethlehem, Pa.
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Bogen 535 Carbon Fiber Tripod with Manfroto 519 Head.

I used my Bogen 3021BN Tripod with a 501 head once. Way too much weight for the 501, and the slightest bump of the tripod was like shooting during an earthquake.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems