Anybody tried this? HM100 > HM700 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 26th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anybody tried this? HM100 > HM700

I'm looking for a small camera for doing news in a more unintrusive way, and I thought of buying the HM100.

Now, I deliver most of my stuff via SDI out from my HM700, so I wondered, if I could record clips on the HM100, and put the SDHC cards into the HM700 and play them out via SDI from the HM700.

I would (like to) think, that it would be possible - but has anybody tried it "in real life"?
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have both cameras and while I haven't gone SDI out of the cameras I have had footage from both cameras on the same card and didnt have any issues when transfering the footage.
The header files names are different so its very easy for me to figure out which camera was which.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Great - I think that's the way to go, then. Didn't realise that JVC followed another naming convention on the HM100 - strange :-)

Regarding the SDI out, that's no problem at all. The HM700 will play out all that can be played IN the cam (LCD screen) via the SDI out - or downconvert it to SD, if one choose so - I do that, as our TV stations still use SD.

Thanks for your reply. But BTW - are you satisfied with the HM700 / HM100 combo - how do the output compare in your opinion?

/peter
Peter Erfurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Erfurt View Post
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. Great - I think that's the way to go, then. Didn't realise that JVC followed another naming convention on the HM100 - strange :-)

Regarding the SDI out, that's no problem at all. The HM700 will play out all that can be played IN the cam (LCD screen) via the SDI out - or downconvert it to SD, if one choose so - I do that, as our TV stations still use SD.

Thanks for your reply. But BTW - are you satisfied with the HM700 / HM100 combo - how do the output compare in your opinion?

/peter
The naming thing isnt a real biggie. I also have a GY200 with Firestore and the firestore files were named by year/date/time which was handy. the 100 and 700 are user setable and hasnt been a issue yet but I can see a possibility while doing a multiday shoot with 'clean' cards as the files names would restart at 1.

There may be a way to change that, but the would require cracking the manual :>)

As far as the output goes, if the lighting is decent, you might notice a slight difference are I think it's more of a glass issue ( I really wish JVC would have put a tad bigger lens).
I would suggest if you dont already have a wide angle for the camera, I would consider adding it, there are some good threads with recommendations already here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems