GYHM750 corrupted files on both SDHC cards at same time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old May 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GYHM750 corrupted files on both SDHC cards at same time

Had this camera (GYHM750L17L-Lo-Lux model) in play for 1 1/2 months. Had a shoot last week where the final clip in the shoot (shoot consisted of various b-roll and 45 minute speech) was corrupted on both cards in the same exact place/clip. Had another shoot today (interview with 2 10-15 minute segments + short ins/outs to show) where the final clip was corrupted on both cards in the same exact place/clip. Before the first shoot, the cards were both reformatted in the camera. We didn't reformat before the 2nd shoot so the cards have all files from both shoots on them.

I also used a MRHD100 hard drive on the first shoot where all recorded files were fine including the final one. So...the camera, itself, seems fine.

The SDHC cards are Transcend brand, 32 GB, Class 6 cards. We shot in SD (DV), 720 X 480, 60i, 4:3 format.

We've had various other shoots since owning the camera with no file corruption. I thought it was odd that the corruption happened on both cards as were shooting with simul-recording so as to solve the problem of one card having a corrrupted file upon completion.

Could it be that the final clip didn't close out or format properly? Don't know. We are going to test by shooting where we record an "extra" clip at the end of the shoot so as to make that the last clip of the shoot. Just an idea.

The 1st shoot corrupted file was during a b-roll shooting "spree" with a bunch of short clips. The 2nd shoot corrupted file was during an interview where the original clip rolled over to a 2nd clip due to duration of the shoot. So...you have a difference in clip duration there as well as method of recording.

Any ideas or other items to try? With the unit being in service and not showing any other signs of issues in this first 1 1/2 months, I wanted to try to nip in the bud early on and/or adjust shooting processing if needed.

Thanks.
Tim Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GYHM750 corrupted files on both SDHC cards at same time

I had card issues when I first got my 700, I was trying to save money by using cheap cards and got burned. For over a year now I've been using only Panasonic and Sandisk Class 10 cards with no issues. JVC recommends these cards or Toshiba brand. Do yourself a favour and pay the extra money for good cards, it's well worth it!
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I second that... For over a year I have had 2 Panasonic Class 10's and they have worked flawlessly 100% of the time I've had them for my 700..

Steve
Steve J. Nordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'll third that. I had 2 cards crap out on me ( in the same week) the one card was recoverable but the other was toast. Got a couple of Sandisk class 10 32GB and havent had a lick of trouble.
Old May 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Some of my Transcend-SDHC-cards break and i get failure and lost all data. I only use Panasonic, Sandisk and Samsung SDHC-cards and they work fine since 2 years.

It`s not a good reason to work with cheap SDHC-cards.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I appreciate the responses. They have given me something to think about. However, the thing that threw me was the fact that both cards, recording simultaneously, both had the same (2) exact files corrupt. I would understand...to a point...if one did it but not both in the same spot.

Would that cause anyone to think anything differently than the cards? Possibly camera processing? Just asking before I plunk down the $$ for the new cards.

We bought (4) Transcend cards at the time we got the camera. I've only had this happen with these two card which were used in tandem during these two recording sessions.

Thanks again!
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Tim, are the original (i.e. on card) clips corrupted?
If not, something may have happened during the transfer from the cards to your computer.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Mike,

I put the cards back in the camera. The first clip (approx. 43 seconds) shows up as a file with the first image of that recording visible. However, when I attempt playback in the camera, the camera kicks me back to the menu with all the files on the card noted. I can playback other files in this manner with no issue.

As for the second clip, it was part of a 11:50 interview segment. i can play the clip but only for the first 9 minutes + XXX. This is where the clip rolls over to a second clip when i export but it shows up as only one clip in the camera.

Again, we did use a HD for the first recording and I've got that clip through that device. However, it wasn't used during the taping for the interview where I lost the last 2 1/2 minutes or so of that interview clip.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Tim, that is very strange indeed.
Were you running on battery or AC power?
The fact that it happened to both simultaneously would, to me at least, mean a power 'blip' of some kind.

The only time I've had issues (corrupted clips after transfer) with my 700 or 750 was when I was using an earlier version of XDCAM EX Clip Browser.
Updated to the latest version and my problems went away.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Mike,

We were on battery power in both instances. I would assume (not having been the one recording) that we were in good shape with juice in the tank on both shoots.
Old May 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

my first thought would have been power. Do you usually shoot in 720x480 mode or was this the first time?
Old May 9th, 2011, 06:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

John,

We have always shot in 720x480. Granted, we've only had the camera for a little over a month or so. We have new Anton Bauer Dionic batteries which had plenty of charge on both shoots. Not sure what else to note at this point.
Tim Kelley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems