Is JVC going to make a 2/3 HD camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old October 17th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Is JVC going to make a 2/3 HD camera

My mistake, the 250's had HDSDI 720p out.
I here you.
Love JVC.
I would like better image quality in the same form factor too.
I too am not turned on by cmos.
As you say, the desired form and specs are 4 x JVC price.

Maybe it's time for JVC to make a quantum leap to a new paradigm.
Drop the tape and chip recording, do a good HD SDI output with high image qual with 1/2" CCD sensor.
Paul Kapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I was considering the 750, which ticks all my boxes - but this is the first I've heard about them being less than good in low light - I do mainly theatre work? I've seen night time material from them and it looked ok - what is the problem with low light?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #18
Major Player

Paul I can't speak of the newer 700 series camera's as I've not experienced them, maybe JVC tweaked them a bit to reduce noise, I know they have a higher bitrate to record which would help some as I believe the main culprit on the JVC is its processor that encodes.

I say this as my 251 is noisy in any shadow or blacks to tape, but component out when I do live concerts etc is reasonably clean. I shoot a lot with HD101s in low light stage work and they work fine, but they are light hungry, and we always have 6db of gain. So as long as the theatre is well lit you should be fine, just don't expect miracles.
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #19
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
I was considering the 750, which ticks all my boxes - but this is the first I've heard about them being less than good in low light - I do mainly theatre work? I've seen night time material from them and it looked ok - what is the problem with low light?
Any 1/3" CCD camera is not going to have the best low light capability. It's just the physics of the small sensor size. Some here don't like CMOS chips, and for all their faults, they're actually quite good and generally are a bit more sensitive with light compared to CCDs. Plus, they're cheaper and they run cooler.
The Canon XF300/305s have 1/3" 3-CMOS chips. I had one, and it isn't too bad in low light. The TV show "Coal" was shot with them, and that's taking place in a black, dark coal mine!

I was hesitant to go the CMOS route at first, but once I got to play with some cameras with CMOS sensors, I was sold. If JVC introduced a 1/2" 3-CMOS camera in the HM700 body style, I think it'd be a big hit. I would think the news organizations would eat them up.

Apparently, the Panny HPX370 is pretty good in low light. The EX1R/3 cameras are very good. The media, however, is expensive for all of them.
If you want a light sensitive camera, go with the Sony FS100. That camera can practically see in the dark!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems