JVC PROHD TUTORIAL DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 17th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #1
New Boot

JVC PROHD TUTORIAL DVDs

Have I missed something here, or has someone forgotten to update the Video Tutorial section of this site in quite some time. When you look under videos, you see a list of tutorials that had been produced by Tim Dashwood. One is a shootter's guide to the GY-HM100 Camcorder, while the second DVD is Volume 1 of the Shooter's Guide to JVC ProHD. Underneath, it lists a third DVD, Volume 2, which is supposed to focus on the 700 series of HD camcorders. However it says, and has said for the last two and a half years, "Coming Soon". Was this DVD never produced, and if not, why not as i would have loved to purchase it at the time. Also, if it doesn't exist, then why is it still being promoted as "coming soon"?
Also, has anyone else produced a tutorial video on the JVC 700 series? I haven't heard of one. thanks in advance.
David Medzorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: JVC PROHD TUTORIAL DVDs

I am very interested in a tutorial DVD as well. I bought Tim`s DVD on the GY-HD series and it really helped me getting the best out of my HD110 back then. Well produced and easy to follow.

I have searched the internet, but there doesn`t seem to be much info on the HM700 series, other than this site.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Wrangler

Hi David,

You are absolutely right. That page hasn't been updated in a long long time. Products and prices have changed. I will send a reminder to Chris to remedy this.

It is an unfortunate situation, but the volume 2 DVD/Blu-Ray post-production was never completed and mass produced. The primary reason was lack of time on my part, but also an apparent lack of interest from the HM700 series owners. DVD/Blu-Ray replication usually requires a minimum order of 1000 units (a significant investment) and we only sold a few hundred units of Volume 1 over three or four years (there are lots left.) If we had actually had a return on investment from the first DVD I probably would have hired someone to complete the project, but it didn't work out that way. Therefore, I always figured I would revise it when the HM790 was announced and subsequently release it online for downloading or as an interactive website, but my professional and personal life has left me with little spare time to finish this project.

In the meantime we released the HM100 DVD, which was bundled with HM100s in the U.S. and has sold very well otherwise. This production was lacklustre and not very detailed in comparison to ProHD Volume 1, but it seemed to have a market. I did not want to lower the bar from the quality level we had established in Volume 1, but I now understand why no one else in the 'tutorial video' business creates such detailed DVDs. It is simply easier and cheaper to have someone stand in a studio for an hour and talk. And that is not something I was willing to do for volume 2.

So the bottom line is that the media captured for volume 2 sits on one of my hard drives in storage and will probably not see the light day unless JVC releases a new model in the 700 series that spurs public interest and I have a few weeks of spare time to finish it.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for letting us know, Tim.

I have bought both the Pro HD Volume 1 DVD and the DVD for the HM100. They are well produced and have been a valuable investment to me. They really helped me gain better insight of my JVC gear. I have watched them many times.

Is there any chance you could post some of your material online? You could for instance, if time permits, post just segments of it. Say, how to setup the camera. Picture profiles or so on.

Thanks anyway for your effort. I appreciate your hard work.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
New Boot

I also appreciate your response, Tim. I own the HM100 video that you produced and it was a tremendous help in getting me aquainted with the camera. I now own a 700 and 750 as well and they are my livelihood and I love using them. Thanks for your tutorials and the best of luck.
David Medzorian is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems