A Message for JVC (RE: HM600 series) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old January 5th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #16
Space Hipster

Re: A Message for JVC (RE: HM600 series)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svein Rune Skilnand View Post

I consider my self to be a pro-amateur, what I strive to get right is white balance and focus, then exposure and composition. Not alwyas easy to achieve with the current formfactor of the aforementioned cameras.

I currently own two EX1Rs, an FS100, an NX70 and a Z5. All Sony cameras. As I own the JVC PL- adapter I am considering selling all cameras except the EX1Rs and replace them with an HM750, a CP2 35 mm lens and a Fujinon XT20SX4.7BRM-K1 1/3” 20 x Zoom Lens For GY-HM750/790. Perhaps this would finally give me the best of both worlds. And I should be able to finance it with the sell of the other
cameras.
You have all those cameras, and you consider yourself a pro-amateur? Lol...you have better gear than many full-time professionals! I've been shooting for 25 years and all I have is one FS100.

I am considering switching to an EX1R or an EX3, or the HM600. I am hoping JVC does make a shoulder-mount version of the HM600.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
LOL, so I guess the main feature the HM600 needs to have for news reporting is a good auto button.

For me, I would ask most for item 4 of the original post: 1080i60 50mbps 4:2:2 color. Hopefully this feature could be added as a zero cost firmware upgrade.
I don't know, but I'm guessing doing this will take a lot more than a simple firmware upgrade. I think they'd have to design a camera from scratch to record in that format.
No camera manufacturer has upgraded from a 4:2:0 to a 4:2:2 format, except through the HDMI port.

Besides, local news stations don't seem to be concerned about anything more than 35mbps, 4:2:0.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Tanner View Post
...the OP put this wish list out over 6 months ago and no apparent response from JVC...
Perhaps that response is coming in April around NAB time.

Usually when I go to CES at the first of the year, I manage to find a way to grill the JVC execs (howdy Lon! yes I know you're watching this). But alas, this time I'm sitting out that show, so I'm sorry to say I won't have that opportunity.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
You have all those cameras, and you consider yourself a pro-amateur? Lol...you have better gear than many full-time professionals! I've been shooting for 25 years and all I have is one FS100.

I am considering switching to an EX1R or an EX3, or the HM600. I am hoping JVC does make a shoulder-mount version of the HM600.
Glen. Maybe I am just equipment happy!

Seriously, though. Different tools for different jobs. My EX1rs are my go to cameras for almost everything I shoot. They are just so versatile to use. Acceptable zoom range, fantastic LCD screen situated where I like it to be. I have been wanting to make my FS100 my go to camera but I like the workflow with the SxS cards better. Maybe that will change when I switch from FCP7 to Adobe.

Everybody says that the FS100 is so much better in low light. But out of the box with the stock lens on, my EX1Rs give me a brighter picture when opened up to than the FS100.

The FS100 is better when you adjust the gain, but zooming in you drop to f5.6 and then push the gain back up, it defeats what I have been taught about gain and f- stop settings. I have been wondering if there is something wrong with my camera, because many people on this forum say it soaks in light.

My Z5 I use with a super8 transfer machine which uses the firewire port of the camera to controll and scan each frame. My NX70 is for family use. But it gives so great images I actually use it on various jobs.

If you have a look at a website called: HD Warrior, he is hoping to do a comparison between the HM650 and EX3. That will be interesting to see.

The EX3 is a great camera, but it has IR issues causing black clothes to go reddish. I haven`t experienced that with my EX1Rs. The EX3 has a better viewfinder ( actually the same EX1R LCD but with a loupe on it ) making it very easy use to use outdoors. Genlock an timecode is a big plus. It uses the same lens ( imagewise it looks the same anyway ) But it is more frontheavy. Good on a tripod, though.
Svein Rune Skilnand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Perhaps that response is coming in April around NAB time.

Usually when I go to CES at the first of the year, I manage to find a way to grill the JVC execs (howdy Lon! yes I know you're watching this). But alas, this time I'm sitting out that show, so I'm sorry to say I won't have that opportunity.
Chris. Do you know something we don`t? I am leaning towards an HM750 today, but it might be worth the wait if there is a new and improved shoulder mounted camera on is way.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Svein,

If I had chosen to attend CES this year (which starts the day after tomorrow), then I might have been in a position to know something you don't -- but that is not the case. All I'm saying is that JVC has surprised us before and I think they are certainly capable of doing it again.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Chris. Do you know something we don`t? I am leaning towards an HM750 today, but it might be worth the wait if there is a new and improved shoulder mounted camera on is way.
Craig Yanagi has HINTED in the past that some of the things I have "requested" are being listened to and are awaiting in a new release... (no, not just me but the things I have asked for...) and I want many of the same things listed here...

What I will say is that if you don't NEED to buy a camera today, don't. The best time to buy a camera is JUST before you need it as it is a moving target with new options and features appearing almost weekly, it seems.

The big issue with NAB is that all the lovely toys we get to see on the show floor are TYPICALLY not available for several months afterward... The HM650 I played with on the show floor was quite buggy but had been assembled only DAYS before the show and was hand carried to NAB to make the show... a true one-of-a-kind beta model.

Thankfully, I don't have the budget for the three new cameras I "need" to buy this year right now because the Sony PMW200 is what is exciting me the most, given what I need them for...
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Major Player

Hi Shaun.

That is my feeling as well. If I buy the HM750 today, maybe I will regret it when NAB comes in April. But as you say, whatever they show at NAB usually doesn`t turn up before Christmas. That`s one year from now. I believe there is a product called Black Magic......

However, I would like to put my JVC PL- adaptor to use and came across this website Visual Products - Equipment for Sale - Lenses - Zoom Lenses - 16mm Zoom Lenses

I wonder if these 16 mm lenses would fit nicely on my adaptor. And the HM750 has an attractive price point over here now.

However if JVC releases a Super 35 mm camera......
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:

However if JVC releases a Super 35 mm camera......
MERELY speculating but an S35 camera doesn't fit JVC's historical business model... they are certainly aggressive in terms of introducing tech that pushes boundaries... all the way back to the 1/2" DVHS/D-9 camera released in 1999 or so... probably before that but that's when they showed up on MY radar...

They haven't shown much innovation in recent years in terms of looking at larger format sensors, even 1/2". I'd see a move into the 1/2" market, given the close development and licensing of Sony's XDCam codec before I saw them moving into S35...

Having said that, no one saw the 4k camera they introduced this year coming either...

My 2 cents.
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Major Player

Shaun. Your speculations may be right, but I hope you are wrong. You have a logical way of thinking, though.

One thing I do like about JVC is that the next generation of cameras seem to be built upon the previous one. Meaning if you bought into the HD series, you are able to use your batteries ( excluding the100 series) your 1/3 inch lenses, PL- adaptor, lights and so on.

Look at Sony, How many different types of batteries do they use? M- series, L- series, BPU- series and so on, making it a bit frustrating if one decides to go with a different family of Sony cameras. Economy being what is is, it sure is nice to reuse whatever I can. Cameras may change, but mediaformats, batteries and chargers should stay the same.

NAB will show, maybe?
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #26
Trustee

Belatedly my two cents on the wish list --- agreeing with what Tim said. I come from an ENG background, and would like to see the 600 guts and lens in the 750 form factor, also.

Tim is right about the expensive third-party batteries ... I believe there is room on the rear of the camera to mount two standard JVC camcorder batteries side-by-side, which might be used either in parallel or sequentially, providing undoubtedly as much power as could be needed in a more compact form and certainly a more attractive price point.

Cover them with a removable housing that facilitates the mounting of a wireless receiver, please.

Add the VTR capability of the 790 to this or any ENG camera, because any ENG shooter today faces having to record video feeds from mult-boxes and other pool sources on a frequent basis, or at least that's how it is in larger markets. We have courtroom coverage, the inevitable (sigh, yawn) school-board and commission meetings we have to cover,often with pool-only feeds. I assume this is true in many other markets where there is a lot of competing media.

The 600 technology is just too good to waste on a camera that you can't hand-hold steadily enough to run and gun. The shoulder mount balance is one thing that JVC brags about in their 750 literature, they should bring the rest of the camera up to the present.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I agree 100% ..In fact if the 600 bits had been put into a 700 series case that would have been my instant camera choice this season as the balance is pretty close to perfect. Panasonic didn't upgrade the HMC80 either so there was another wasted opportunity and the only clever guys were Sony and they brought out the EA-50 which satisfied the run and gun guys AND gave the DSLR people a better form factor ...the balance is nowhere as good as the 750 and I have battery packs hanging off the back and that makes it pretty close to balanced.

Maybe manufacturers feel that there is no market left for ENG style cameras ??? The 750 and 790 is pretty old by now with CCD's and it doesn't appear that JVC will restyle it or even make a SM 600/650

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
The 750 and 790 is pretty old by now with CCD's and it doesn't appear that JVC will restyle it or even make a SM 600/650
I'm not sure CCDs are so bad. It would be better to improve the low-light capabilities of the 7xx series while keeping the global shutter of the CCDs. However, a shoulder mount version of the 600 that is significantly cheaper than the current 7xx series would be great!
Eric Olson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems