Muddy Footage GY HM600 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old March 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Muddy Footage GY HM600

Hey, anyone else with the GY HM600 feeling like their footage looks muddy? Even with what feels and looks on camera to be a good focus my shots feel very muddy after the fact. I am editing in FCPx but even just viewing the files they look blurry. I am shooting at 180° on 24p at 1080. I may try cranking up the detail in camera again and see if that helps but it is bugging me a little bit. The shot of the royal crest on the castle was pin sharp in the Viewfinder (eyepiece not LCD screen).

Tim Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Muddy Footage GY HM600

Do you know what your average f-stop was? Softness in daylight bright footage could be the result of diffraction when no nd is applied and the camera needs to close down the iris completely to compensate, which it can't.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Agreed, the colors are muted, the sharpness isn't what you would expect, and the images seem somewhat dark and muddy.

Might be you want to tweak the camera setup, see instructions starting at page 92 in the manual. You can increase contrast, set the black point, arrange color balance, sharpening, etc. to your taste.

Might also check your FCPx settings, you might have inadvertently set a default for, say, broadcast limits (which constrains the density range of the image to suit broadcast requirements) or some such.

Best wishes!
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Major Player

Not sure if this helps but there are some recommended settings in this document:

http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3335_s07.pdf

I don't have the experience to be changing the contrast/colour/knee, etc, settings myself so I used those recommended settings and haven't had any issues.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I am using those settings Jody, I can not remember my exact IRIS, but I have been trying to keep it under 5.6

I know i had the Gain on 0 and the ND at 1/64, however that sometimes does not appear to be enough, do you suggest using negative gain or should I increase framerate ?
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I had detail on -7 I suspect that would be the problem. I have put it at around +3 now, I believe it was -7 due to the article, I am going to reread that and make sure I didn't do it incorrectly.

Also, not able to do a negative gain (makes sense) so I will possibly need to start using my Polarizer outside.

I highly suspect that the -7 detail is what caused this issue, as I do not remember the camera being that muddy previously. The sun is already setting, so I am going to head out right now and see if I can snag a few handheld shots from the Citadel.
Old March 26th, 2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Gauthier View Post
I am using those settings Jody, I can not remember my exact IRIS, but I have been trying to keep it under 5.6

I know i had the Gain on 0 and the ND at 1/64, however that sometimes does not appear to be enough, do you suggest using negative gain or should I increase framerate ?
I use -6 gain unless I'm in low light. I find that even 0dB is slightly grainy when lighting isn't ideal but -6 is extremely clean. To achieve -6dB gain you need to set "extended mode" in the settings.

I also have my detail set to -7 though, so I'm wondering if that's what is causing the grain. Let me know how +3 detail is for you.
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for the -6 gain trick, that helped a lot. Also I pumped it up to +3 detail and I find that it aliases a little bit, but is more crisp over all which I prefer. I took some footage but since I'm at the S.O.'s family for easter I haven't really bothered to put anything up!
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

This was all shot with -6dB, and the stuff where we still had decent light looked ok, but I definitely got quite a bit more noise as the light dipped away. This was apparent BEFORE I graded but definitely obvious after. However I think it all still looks ok.

I shot with detail at +3.

Any suggestions on what I can do with my settings etc? I was running for most of it so I could stay in the right IRIS.

I feel like i'm still not quite getting everything out of the camera, also realizing just how much I have forgotten.

Old April 15th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #10
Major Player

I've noticed my HM600 produces a very grainy image in low light even at -6dB gain also. So I'd also be interested in any information about any different settings that may help with this.
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

and so I continue playing with the camera, I would say this is a HUGE step forward in quality from what I had originally. I am using the Alex4D unsharp mask and that has made a difference as well (thought not necessary I do like how it looks).

The big trick was lowering the green matrix a bit, and colour grading the footage afterwards.

Old April 28th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #12
Trustee

Negative gain reduces the dynamic range of you camera so it should be used judiciously. Check Alister’s site for a fuller explanation. The less the dynamic range the flatter looking your image will be.

Why using negative gain can be bad, unless you have an F3. | XDCAM-USER.COM

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

If I understand correctly that affects the low end of the image blacks and such, or would that limit in the dynamic range affect the high end? So far in my footage I have not actually found any noticeable limit in how much dynamic range I have.
Old April 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #14
Trustee

Hi ~

If you switch in -6dB you are reducing the dynamic range by one stop. You are effectively moving the entire output from the sensor down by a stop. You are correct negative gain makes for less sensitivity in the dark areas of the image and in turn the image will appear to have less noise in the low light areas because you have effectively crushed visibility in the blacks. Conversely though your maximum levels are now down as well. In effect the range you have to reproduce the image is down by one stop. Example, in a camera with a ten stop range you have lost ten percent of its dynamic range. Sadly the less dynamic range your camera has to operate in makes for a flatter less vibrant looking image.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #15
Regular Crew

fantastic, thank you :)

Is that something you personaly noticed in my footage or just a warning based on reading the article? From my experience grading this footage, running in the wdr mode with the -6dB i've not seen any loss of range.

I know in my earlier footage with 0dB or +6dB I had very little detail in the low end and low midrange tones, it was noisy and just had zero detail to pull out when grading. I do not know if it is because I switched to WDR or if it is the positive gain but it definitely gives me a cleaner range of image now. Thank you for giving me something to play with
Tim Gauthier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems