Compatible External Battery for JVC GY-HM600 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 29th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Compatible External Battery for JVC GY-HM600

I am starting to shop to figure out the upgrade path for my camera, and I am not sure how to figure out which battery I should be looking at. I would like something along the lines of a V-Mount battery to place on a set of rails/shoulder rig. I would be putting a Kinotechnik LCD EVF and BMD Hyperdeck Shuttle on this as well and I would want to power those.

I really don't have a grasp on what I would need to factor in to figure out which battery systems, voltages, and such I should be looking at to run this camera and those accessories.

Thanks guys, you've been a huge help so far!
Tim Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Compatible External Battery for JVC GY-HM600

Any suggestions, or at least some resources I can use to figure this out? Thanks! (i'm in a foreign country and am not able to go into a shop to talk, unless there is a German shop near Erfurt that also speaks english).
Old May 11th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I'll take a stab at it for you Tim.
An Anton Bauer Dionic90 Lithium Ion Battery is typically 90watts of power in a 14.4 volt package. (they do offer a larger one but it's really costly and kind of heavy). So if the camera and other accessories pull say 15watts (just a guess, the manufacturers should have all of that info on their website OR on their owners manuals if you already own the gear) then simply divide 90 by 15 and that's how long the battery will last if you 1) are constantly recording and 2) run it dry. I don't think you will do #1 and #2 isn't a great idea.
there are also V lok batteries that are comparable. For instance up until a few years ago when I owned and used various full sized camera I used the Anton Bauers. Now with my JVC HM700 I use V-lok because that's what came with the camera. They're IDX brand and are only 68 watts so I felt like I was constantly changing battery's. I purchased a couple of Bescor 95W LiON battery's which charge on my IDX charger, work like crazy and cost over $100 LESS than a comparable IDX battery. BTW, I power the camera, my wireless receiver (not a big draw obviously) and my on camera light which even though is an LED still sucks the juice out of the battery at a pretty good rate.
there are also Anton Bauer Hytron battery's which are NMIH and 50W or 120W but the 120s weigh in at about 5.5 pounds. that was why I sold them off and went to the Dionic90s back when,
Anyway I hope this helps you decide. IMO the 3 stub AB type are the most popular but the V-lok are gaining popularity and are pretty much right there now. Westside AV (a DVi sponsor) as well as some others offer a shoulder mount for your camera and I believe they all offer a choice between AB or V-lok mounts so it's really a matter of personal choice. they'll both do the job.
HTHs
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Tim,
I just looked at the HM600. It pulls 12 watts with the LCD and VF. So a 90W battery is going to last you about 7.5 hours when powering the camera if you run it dry. However it appears that it uses a 7.2 volt battery to power the camera and the typical 3 stud or v-lok battery is 14 volts so some sort of power reducer might be necessary.
Old May 12th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you Don, that is what I was suspecting, I will need something to downconvert the power into the camera for me, but still let me power the other devices.

Thank you :)
Old May 12th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

There was an AB Gold Mount system powering a JVC HM600 at NAB. I can't recall who the manufacturer was but it does exist already. It had a D-Tap on the battery mount as well so a simple D-Tap multiplier to power both the EVF and the BMD HDS would be the other addition to the purchase.

You'll have to check the combined wattage draw to ensure all devices added up don't exceed the safe draw on the Dionic or else you'll have to go to the high current draw version but I doubt highly this application would.
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I think this may be what I was looking for. I don't quite understand how this all works together, but it has the right outputs.

So this is a AB lock style battery, which should be fine. I would likely need a mounting plate to put this on to a set of rails instead of the camera's mount.

Product name is : Anton Bauer QR-JVCDIGI Gold Mount Plate - for JVC GY-HD200/250

Last edited by Tim Gauthier; May 14th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Trustee

I am also interested in this subject. I would need to be able to power a 100 watt iDLight and mount a 230 watt 3lb Li-Ion Gold mount brick on the back of a 650. Do they make a shoulder rig with Gold mount that allows standard tripod plate attachment?

Very interested in such a rig.......I shoot 100% night time news, mostly from a distance, and 100 watts of spot really makes a difference when your zoomed in and the little 650 lens drops to f3.0!
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #9
New Boot

SWIT S-8I50 Li-ion DV Battery
David Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:46 AM   #10
New Boot

Swit Battery S-8I50 with Swit S-2040 Led Light gives you about 1 hour on full light and more than 3
hours with no light
John Kazas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems