Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r

Hi, I'm looking for some good advices to choose between those two (JVC GY-HM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r) cams since I can't decide which one to get. Any recommandations for this ?

Thanks to answer

Last edited by Michel Rivest; August 3rd, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Michel Rivest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

re: Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r

Unless I just had to have the longer lens. i would go with the Sony hands down.

Your model number is wrong in your post.

JVC GYHM600
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi, what other arguments do you have, aside of that ? Like the lack of replacement batteries (with higher capacity), low light properties, sound properties, etc.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Mind you I'm speaking as a long time EX1R shooter.

You could argue the half inch chips in the Sony stand out.

The JVC records in more formats. You could make arguments either way.

I was walking through the airport in New Orleans the other day and there was this reporter shooting with the JVC GYHM600 . She was cam op and reporter. I said nice camera. and she looked at my bag and asked what I was shooting with. I told her the EX1R and she said "ill trade".

She didn't give any real reason and I had a flight to catch so I don't know. but she said she couldn't believe that her station bought those. I think that was a bit strong because I see these cameras in a lot of news markets.

I guess I'm not the best one to say.
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Al, greatly appreciated. Anybody else care to share their experiences with both cams ?

Thanks to answer
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

@Michel-What kind of shooting do you need it for?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gardner View Post
but she said she couldn't believe that her station bought those. I think that was a bit strong because I see these cameras in a lot of news markets.

I read recently that the BBC bought 500 HM650's... that must count for a few points in favour of the HM600.

I own one myself. My only complaint would be that it's quite noisy in low light. But you'll get that with most 1/3" chips I guess. Otherwise it's a fantastic camera, I love shooting with it.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Unless the OP is a large broadcasting company or freelance BBC shooter, I can't imagine why it matters that the BBC bought the JVC. If fact you could argue it the other way. The BBC bought them so stay clear.

IMHO, equipment should be bought for the intended and projected purpose. The idea of buying something because someone else bought one is hilarious to me.... reminiscent of the old line parents use "if your friend jumped off a bridge..." when a kid justifies doing something because so and so does it too.

I like the speeds and feeds of the JVC and the PMW-200 is so bad, if I needed 4:2:2/50, I'd look at it seriously. But I've had JVC equipment in the past and after putting up with their obscure/geeky menus and terminology, would have to be in a tight pinch to buy another.

I think the key feature to evaluate is the requirement for 4:2:2/50. If the OP does not require it, then the decision becomes one that should be driven by the OP preferences IMHO. The 1/2" chips of the EX1R are going to be a little better for bokeh over the 1/3.

The rotating handle is another. Go on a trek and hang out the passenger window of a vehicle and the advantages are immediately clear. Especially in countries that drive on the wrong side of the road. :-)
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm afraid you missed my point entirely. But either way, I think the HM600 is a fantastic camera (which you'll see from my various threads and sample footage that I have posted). So I'll just leave it at that :)
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Major Player

I had an EX1r for a few years and loved it. I recently added a Panasonic GH3 and a JVC GY HMQ10 and the Sony was easily bested by either in my opinion, at least in color and detail so I sold it. One thing I do miss are those great sounding pre-amps, but the EX1r doesn't do 1080 60p and you can't put different lenses on it. It was a great camera a few years ago but I wouldn't want to shoot with it today. I bought the GY HMq10 to shoot 4k but most often use it for HD. Its detail and clarity are far superior to the EX1r.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Screen shots from the JVC, GH3 and Ex1r. None were sharpened.
Attached Thumbnails
Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r-ex1r.jpg   Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r-jvc.jpg  

Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r-gh3.jpg  

Last edited by Duane Adam; August 6th, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #12
Space Hipster

Duane, do you shoot in 4K and post in HD? The shot from the JVC has incredible detail.

I think the EX1R is a very viable camera today. I'd be happy to use one. I've never considered it compared to the HMQ10, though.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Duane, do you shoot in 4K and post in HD? The shot from the JVC has incredible detail.
Have shot in both 4k and HD, detail is exceptional either way. That screen shot was from a 4k clip in a 1920 x 1080 PP project. With HD you shoot to one card so it's a faster workflow. 4k 60p is great for slow motion as you can crop as desired. Have yet to see its full resolution as I don't have a 4k monitor.
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Inner Circle

This would be a used EX1r versus a new HM600? That's a tough choice as you would have warranty coverage on the JVC and a repair bill on the EX1 if something broke. I never liked the EX1 for it's ergonomics but when it came out the image was excellent. The EX3 is a better all around camera in my experience compared to the EX1. The HM600 has a great image and a very good price for what you get. It's my go to camera now for events and quick interviews.
Old August 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #15
New Boot

Re: Jvc GYHM600 vs Sony PMW-EX1r

Ok, but, the JVC on lack affordable replacement batteries (which is quite essential). Aside of that I'm looking for a good camcorder that allow artistic shooting and fast setting withous too much accessories, especially for weddings & events or mor artistic projects. Personally, I was quite satisfied with the Sony pmw-ex1r, even whith the fact it's discountinued, that it lacked the 60p image shooting (most of the JVC cams does, BTW) and it's low light properties. Most recently, even if discontinued, affordable replacement batteries found their way for this cam, which is not the case for the JVC GY-HM600 and doesn't have much lenses fitting on it either.

Any other suggestion aside of the Sony or the JVC mentionned here ?
Michel Rivest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems