Focusing problems due to old firmware? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old November 21st, 2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Focusing problems due to old firmware?

Hi,

I'm training some journalists at the moment who are working with the 650. I notice a lot of focusing problems. It's hard to see if things are sharp even with peaking on. The camera's are still on V0102. Will the latest firmware help to see things sharper?

TIA
Peter Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Focusing problems due to old firmware?

I find the camera difficult to focus with too. The new firmware doesn't help. I really wish it had an expanded/magnified focus feature.

Peaking is the best method I've found. And generally the depth of field is so deep, everything is in focus anyway.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:02 AM   #3
New Boot

The 2.06 firmware has Expanded focus help. In Menu, User Switch Set you can assign Expanded Focus in any User button and magnifies the Image x 2.
John Kazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you! I'm not surprised I didn't notice this - it really is hidden away in the menu.

This is going to make life a whole lot easier.
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I bought my GY-HM600E only a couple of months back and was surprised to just discover it was running on v0105 firmware.

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places, there doesn't seem to be a well documented history of each firmware update, or any details and user info about the enhancements or bug fixes.

Having registered the product with JVC, I thought I might get an email to advise of updates, but sadly not, I discovered it was available on this forum.

I do remember reading somewhere that v1.xx to v2.xx had quite a significant number of added features, but who would know.
David Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fox View Post
I bought my GY-HM600E only a couple of months back and was surprised to just discover it was running on v0105 firmware.

Unless I've just been looking in the wrong places, there doesn't seem to be a well documented history of each firmware update, or any details and user info about the enhancements or bug fixes.

Having registered the product with JVC, I thought I might get an email to advise of updates, but sadly not, I discovered it was available on this forum.

I do remember reading somewhere that v1.xx to v2.xx had quite a significant number of added features, but who would know.
I believe this was the v2 update:

Improve Focus Ring sensitivity near WIDE end.
Improve One Push Iris performance
Improve dynamic blemish compensation function
Improve Auto Focus performance
Change factory default setting of SHUTTER to OFF
Improve Audio Delay parameters
Improve performance on recharging"
Old November 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

The camera's do have the newest firmware now. I think push autofocus works quicker now and peaking looks better now in the lcd/vf. And expanded focus is a nice tool to have to.
Peter Brinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I noticed that in my recent upgrade to v3.0 on the 650 I began having focusing problems.

It is most noticeable when I focus on a wide angle, the image will be soft yet when I press the push auto focus button the image does in fact become sharper.

Anyone else have this issue?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems