Do codecs make a difference in image quality? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old June 20th, 2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Do codecs make a difference in image quality?

I agree with most of what has been said before and you should remember that your display may not be able to show you the difference between codecs. Usually the big improvement from lower bit rates to higher ones is not as much in static resolution as in color information, dynamic resolution and motion artifacts. You might see a difference in quality if you use green screen or color correction between the lower bit rate codecs and higher ones. I would try shooting the same shot in different codecs and combining them in an edit to see if you find a visible difference and why.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Inner Circle

You can pixel poke and view footage at extreme magnification to get an idea of what the codec may be doing. However it can get to be a waste of practical time depending on how you expect to use your footage. Some people have said that movie projection on a large professional screen is a good arbiter but I have found that projection actually covers fine artifacts that might be annoying on a monitor. I made a short doc years ago in HDV for BluRay and it ended up being projected last year at a cinema. Despite it being almost entirely handheld and filming detailed city street shots, it looked great and I couldn't see any artifacts that were previously noticeable while editing.
Old June 21st, 2014, 07:49 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Daniel,

Sounds like a good idea. Do you suppose the type of shot with this HM650 would make a difference? e.g. locked down, average light, hand held, hi or low light, high contrast scene, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 08:02 PM   #19
Trustee

Hey Ty,
Yes for test purposes the types of shots could reveal issues. I would mostly use locked down shots with a lot of motion in the subject if possible for comparison It depends on what you have access to . Lots of detail would probably be a good test. Brick walls always seem to reveal issues. High contrast scenes should show more issues. Daylight vs studio lighting would be nice. Gradients are always good to shoott to see if banding starts showing up. Handheld might be useful if you can repeat the shot. As many different situations as you can deal with would be the best but time and budget can limit how many different scenarios one can do. There was a very nice test of the Arri Alexa and Canon C500 but that may be too ambitious for this. You just need to get a sense of the difference if any between the compression schemes and the cameras performance.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems