Is the JVC HM600 NTSC/PAL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 10th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Trustee

Is the JVC HM600 NTSC/PAL

As the title says, is this camera switchable from NTSC to PAL?
Or do I have to purchase a PAL version. I see on B&H a version that ends in B&H#: JVGYHM600U MFR#: GY-HM600U

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Is the JVC HM600 NTSC/PAL

I got mine from B&H and it is indeed switchable between NTSC/PAL.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

My spec sheet and price list from Global Media Pro in New Zealand lists the HM600 at AUS$4110.00 and the specs say that it is most definitely switchable between PAL and NTSC and if you are going for the super special at $2995 and B&H click on the specification tab on their web page and you will see under formats it lists both PAL and NTSC frame rates there too.

You should be pretty much safe!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Trustee

Great news guys, thanks for your input. B&h has the best price I have found.

Cheers
Old August 10th, 2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Simon

Yeah that's $1K cheaper than GMP and shipping to Perth from NYC certainly won't be $1000!!! You will pay GST from either supplier once it hits Customs anyway only thing is they bill you 10% not just on the price but on the price+ shipping so be aware of that extra you will have to pay.

I looked hard at the JVC cameras but eventually went for 2 x Sony EA-50's (same rough price bracket) as I can use my Nikon lenses on the Sony and I love shoulder-mount cameras and the big sensor,

Jody actually has both the HM600 and the EA-50 (he's richer than me!!!)

Chris
Old August 10th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Trustee

Chris - got a lens question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I looked hard at the JVC cameras but eventually went for 2 x Sony EA-50's (same rough price bracket) as I can use my Nikon lenses on the Sony and I love shoulder-mount cameras and the big sensor,
With regard to the Nikon lenses, do you know how the Nikon F (non-AI) would work? The F-mount is slightly different from the newer models and would require a bit of machining on the bayonet but other than that, would they be useable? Probably all manual focus & f/stop mode?

Simon - on the JVC web site JVC Pro Product Overview Page they indicated there is a "Free Que Q210 microphone kit - a $399 value - when you purchase a GY-HM600U" before Sept 30. Their picture of the camera shows a mic on it but not the same one as the Q210 (it's much longer), and I suppose that may be only when one goes direct. B&H and G&G make no mention of the Q210 on their web pages and the B&H web page doesn't mention the mic "in the box" list. I've got burned before buying long distance (from NY and NJ) and "the devil is in the details". They might show it in the picture but when it isn't in the list I'd ask the question in writing.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Trustee

Thanks again guys. I need a small camera for heading into areas where my Sony PMW500 is hard to transport and I think the JVC 600 will be perfect as a small hand held camera with a small tripod.
Although I now see a new Sony 1inch camera about to come on the market, it's always the way.

I'll check on the mic John, interesting if it's not supplied from B&h.

Cheers
Old August 10th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi John

That's an interesting one! I don't have any Nikon F lenses as my still camera bodies are APSC so my lenses are the Dii ones BUT I do also have a 24-70 which is a FF lens and that also seems to work pretty well .... I'm only shooting in dumb mode so I don't need any communication between the camera and lens. Is the bayonet on the F series lenses different to the newer digital lenses .... Might be worth finding one on ebay and seeing if it would work??

Thanks for the heads-up.

Chris
Old August 10th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
the bayonet but other than that, would they be useable? Probably all manual focus & f/stop mode?

Simon - on the JVC web site JVC Pro Product Overview Page they indicated there is a "Free Que Q210 microphone kit - a $399 value - when you purchase a GY-HM600U" before Sept 30. Their picture of the camera shows a mic on it but not the same one as the Q210 (it's much longer), and I suppose that may be only when one goes direct. B&H and G&G make no mention of the Q210 on their web pages and the B&H web page doesn't mention the mic "in the box" list. I've got burned before buying long distance (from NY and NJ) and "the devil is in the details". They might show it in the picture but when it isn't in the list I'd ask the question in writing.
I believe the free microphone is via redemption. You have to fill in a form and post it to JVC, who will then send it to you. So it wouldn't be listed on B&H as "in the box".

I also believe that the offer is for US residents only.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...Microphone.pdf
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:25 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Jody, I noticed it was only for the USA residents, that's cool I have plenty of mics.

Thanks
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #11
Major Player

You could be sneaky and use a US freight forwarding service or similar. When I bought my HM600, the redemption offer was for a free battery, so I got it sent to a friend in the US.
Old August 11th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Trustee

Jody - actually, just to clarify, the mic that I was referring to that wasn't in the one listed as being "in the box", it was the one shown on the camera. The conflict is that B&H shows a picture of the HM600 with a mic mounted on it but the "in the box" list of items doesn't include it. This can be confusing.

As an aside, a search for the HM600 where there is a picture shows a mic with a foam screen mounted on almost every camera. Based on this it would lead one to think that the mic is a standard accessory. Moving on …..

According to the JVC HM600U web page at JVC Pro Specifications there is no mic listed under "Provided Accessories"; therefore, the mic that is shown on the camera on the B&H web site must be either "not provided" as a standard accessory (although the ad doesn't say that), or it is the promotion mic (doesn't say that, either). Their ad does mention the "Free Q 210 Microphone Kit With Purchase and Registration ….. (details here)". [Note: important "details"!]

"The devil is in the details": After reading the link in Jody's post #9 (he did a good job finding the redemption form) it would appear it could be a challenge to get the promotional mic via a work-around because it says the camera buyer would have to register the camera. Would the buyer have to have a friend in the US register the camera? The mic would be a nice freebee to give up, even is one already had a nice collection of mics.

Bottom line: From what I can tell, there is no mic (in the standard box) with the camera. The mic shown (in numerous on-line pictures) is only a representation of what one might look like if it was mounted on the camera.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Trustee

When I read the the B&H ( what's in the box ) it just mentions the camera so I just assumed the mic was part of the camera, I think I'll need to contact B&H and get an answer on this. It's a bit miss leading as the camera has a mic attached so one would assume this is part of the camera. Thanks for the advice John.

Cheers
Old August 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #14
Trustee

I just spoke with B&H and they have confirmed that the camera has no mic in the box. They mentioned the mic promotion that one can apply for but as I'm based in Australia I do not qualify for this. Bummer!
Old August 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nantz View Post
Jody - actually, just to clarify, the mic that I was referring to that wasn't in the one listed as being "in the box", it was the one shown on the camera. The conflict is that B&H shows a picture of the HM600 with a mic mounted on it but the "in the box" list of items doesn't include it. This can be confusing.
Understood. Sorry, I misread.

And no, the HM600 doesn't come with a mic in the box (at least mine didn't). I'd be inclined to contact B&H, that photo is indeed misleading.

I'm sure one could register their HM600 using a freight forwarding service address. It couldn't hurt? I don't think it's fair that only US residents get the free stuff.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems