BBC test of 890 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:42 AM   #16
New Boot

Re: BBC test of 890

Ok, so here's a test. This was shot in 422 pro res HQ, and that's how it was uploaded. I can link a dropbox of the file if anyone wants it. I understand the light is low. We don't have a lot of lighting fixtures to work with, so it's primarily lekos... and even then we get a lot of requests to tone them down. Is the mistake, just not enough lighting? I didn't shoot this one, but I did check the camera before show time, and if I remember correctly it was 1.4f and 0 db of gain.

Well youtube kind of degrained it a bit, so here's a dropbox link too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/onqv42ghfymzzq7/4th.mov?dl=0
Mark Hanlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Mark, it's hard to see the noise with all the compression artifacts of youtube. Any other footage I've seen from the 800 series cameras has been very clean...especially given the sensors are 1/3".

What are you viewing your media on?
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #18
New Boot

Check out the drop box link right below the video. Can you not download it where you're at? Like what device do I see the noise in? I'm watching it on the 27" iMac I'm editing it on.

Anyway so we did a video shoot yesterday, and I took it off cinema gamma- and was able to add more light to the point where I could add -3 decibels of gain, and there still was a bit of noise on the blue drape.

I though about uploading it to Vimeo but they seem to have limits. And that video is larger than what they allow without upgrading.
Mark Hanlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #19
Regular Crew

The blue channel will have more noise than the green or red channel, so that might be why you're seeing the noise in a dark blue curtain. You might try putting 1/2 CTB on your lights and white balance to that. I've been told that this will give a cleaner image.
Scott Berrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM   #20
New Boot

Ok, I'll try that. I seem to get some degree noise in just about any dark color or shadows on stage, so I'll try that. Whether it's blue or black.
Mark Hanlen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems