Evolution of my JVC 750 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old August 28th, 2019, 02:47 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Evolution of my JVC 750

I've had a fruitful week. Mainly due too Ryan's posts, I've discovered some old lenses invested in an adaptor and got some useful improvements to my usual way of working.

I mentioned in another topic that I'd got the Canon J13X9 from my old Betacam from the 90s, and the adaptor to mount it on the 750 I got from an Ebay seller from the Ukraine for half the price of the 'official' JVC item. This arrived within the week and I was very pleased to get pretty decent results. no vignetting, and the 2x converter loses a couple of stops of light but gets in amazingly tight. Today, I found the companion to the Betacam in another flight case, this time with a Fujinon 14x9 zoom attached. Subjectively this lens appears identical, but on a test chart towards the edges, black/white contrast lines have green fringing on the inner edges where black meets white. Resolution is also slightly softer - not much, but on the test chart you can see it, but not really differences you can see on images.

best of all I found a rather nice Matte box that I'd never been able to fit to my modern cameras as the tube spacing was (presumably) imperial not metric. On the Canon (but not Fuji) lens were four inserts that the matte box tube adaptor fitted perfectly.

The 1.8X magnification fro the adaptor means the lens on the ⅓" sensor camera is medium at its widest setting and very long at the narrow end, with 2x extra if needed. All the stuff was really just video junk sitting on the shelves, and all I've spent is £125 on the adaptor. I can use the stock ⅓" HD lens for wide shots but the telephoto shots I can now get are going to work well.

I'm going to try it on my post head and longer legs next and see if this is more stable - because very long lenses wobble if you blow on the pan handle - well, almost. I'm wondering about aircraft shots where distance usually means filling the frame difficult. That's for the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Evolution of my JVC 750-jvc750-mattbpx-1s.jpg   Evolution of my JVC 750-jvc750-mattbpx-2s.jpg  

Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 05:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Evolution of my JVC 750

I thought maybe some would like to see a few more things I've been up to with the lens and camera combination. It's long enough to get images from the ground of skydivers leaping from the aircraft. I'd love it if the result was sharper, but the image is OK for the purpose.

I've had to put it on the ancient Vinten Cygnet post head and more chunky legs to enable me to shoot at very steep angles, but I did forget one very important rule - DON'T get too close to the action. I managed an excellent position but they were falling to a point around 30ft from me, which meant they'd be coming at me from all angles and I couldn't pan around that quick. Some pans ended up being 300 degrees around me and very fast - so the legs of the tripod were in the way. Even worse, it was bright sunshine so I had to use the viewfinder on the side. I've included some images of the camera, and will try to post some images from the video if the client OK's it.

Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems