Dubbing DVCPro to MiniDV with Adapter? Is it possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Dubbing DVCPro to MiniDV with Adapter? Is it possible?

Hello All,

I have tried multiple times on multiple decks to dub from DVCPro to MiniDV on a DVCPro deck with the MiniDV tape in a "DVCPro to MiniDV" adapter.

For some reason I am UNABLE to record on the MiniDV deck. I have checked the record safety tabs on both tapes, and still nothing...

Is this even possible?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Andrew Falzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 04:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You mean you are trying to record on a miniDV tape, but the deck is a DVCPRO deck?

It may not be able to do that? The formats are similar but not the same.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Little help here??!

I have the AJ-D455 Panasonic DVCPro (25) deck. When I connect it to my Avid and use a MiniDV tape with an adapter that fits into my deck it records MiniDV fine. I use the same deck to reverse the process, digitizing something that was shot on MiniDV-- also fine.

DId this answer your question, it was hard to follow.
Mike Poglitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #4
Major Player

I may be wrong, but I think some of the older DVCPRO decks will not record in standard DV, even though they may play it back. So even though you could get the machine to physically accept the tape, and possibly even start rolling, they would be recording either a DVCPRO signal onto the tape (which would not play back on a DV deck or camera), or nothing at all
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Major Player

I've always understood it couldn't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Falzon View Post
Hello All,

I have tried multiple times on multiple decks to dub from DVCPro to MiniDV on a DVCPro deck with the MiniDV tape in a "DVCPro to MiniDV" adapter.

For some reason I am UNABLE to record on the MiniDV deck. I have checked the record safety tabs on both tapes, and still nothing...

Is this even possible?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
I sometimes serve as 2nd cam to an indie whose cam only accepts DVCPRO tape. He always wants me to use a miniDV tape in my HVX. While both are considered DV25, I've always been under the impression that the actual tape in DVCPRO cartridges is manufactured differently, (which makes them more durable than miniDV), and has a different coating that allows what I'll call "a deeper signal" to be recorded on DVCPro tape. I don't know the tech stuff well enough to describe it but I've always thought the "range" of a DVCPRO signal was too wide/broad to be written to a miniDV tape. The anaolgy that comes to mind is that it might be like overmodulating audio, i.e. signal beyond the "peak" is lost and irretrievable. At least that's my understanding. I could well be wrong.

I'm sure others here can better describe the difference.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Er... I think the HVX200 can record onto miniDV tape (and not DVCPRO tape).

If you're dealing with data (recording onto P2), the DV and DVCPRO codecs are the same thing.

2- DVCPRO on tape has a wider track pitch. More tape is used to store the signal / the tape is played back faster. The wider track pitch allows for linear editing from what I know (frame accurate).

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#DVformats
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line