Panasonic 80 minute tapes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 12th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #16
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stavar View Post
Can anyone offer any opinions, experience, useful information about the Panasonic 80 min MiniDV tapes?

I have an even shoot coming up in a couple of weeks (dance school concert), and using the 80 minute tapes would get me out of that bind of having to change tapes during each half.

All thoughts graciously received.

Thanks,

marks
I've used these tapes in Sony and Canon DV cameras without problems. I don't do it often, but when videoing recitals and such I HAVE used them due to time problems. These days, with multiple cams and multiple shooters, I stagger the change-over times and never have more than one camera at a time 'down' for a tape/battery change.

Also, since you're renting gear, I'd for sure run head cleaners through the cameras beforehand. (and use new tapes)

Good luck!

Mark
Old October 12th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #17
Trustee

I used the Panasonic AY-DVM83MQ Mini DV Master tapes when I shot a conference about four years ago. I can't remember experiencing any problems with them.
Christopher Lefchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Me again.............

Having had time to reflect on this subject some more, what do you think of this plan of attack?

Remember when they used to recomend you ran your tapes through the camera "blind" (lens cap on, record to complete tape) to ensure constant time code? I believe it was more an NLE issue with missing time code than a camera/ tape problem, but I digress.

Seems to me (and some may well disagree) that all my dropouts happen, strangely enough, on brand spanking new tapes. Would I get the dropout in the same place if I re - wrote it a second time? Don't know, can't say, never used one twice.

However, if you take the situation where a piece of crud has, by chance, found it's way onto the tape during manufacture, running the tape through the camera would, most likely, cause said crud to get flicked/ wiped off, giving a spectacular dropout in the process.

What if you run all your tapes "blind" before the shoot? (don't suppose it even needs to be the same camera(s)), and at least you have 1. Permanent time code (crud situations allowing) 2. De - crud'ed tape to the best of your ability.

Could all be a complete load of hogwash, but taking this further still, if a tape is going to self destruct (are 80 minute tapes more likey to do so - are they really thinner tape - does anyone really know?) it's odds on to fail first time if at all.

Just something to mull over.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #19
Wrangler

Moderator Note: A cross-posted thread in the Wedding / Event forum was merged into this one. Please see the Code of Conduct on the Policy Page. Thanks.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

OK, I'll bite.....

Peter - what was that about?

As I plead "not guilty, M'lud" to all charges (heck, I'll plead insanity, if I have to), what were you trying to say, to whom?

CS
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hmm,

Peter,

This is probably my bad; I posted in two groups just to try and stimulate a response as it is an important and somewhat pressing issue for me.

So, Chris is innocent and I stand corrected (I have since read the cross-posting policy).

Apologies,

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Ok, mea culpa out of the way..........

Mark,

Read and inwardly digest the post that was so rudely interupted, and see if there is any merit in it whatsoever (apart from the penance of having to sit there whilst cameras do diddly squat for hours on end but run tape - JOY!)

Naughty boy, smack hand.

CS
Old October 13th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris,

I shall read and indeed digest.

Peace,

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Personally, I do not "Stripe" (record the tape using the lens cap on) my tapes.

I do, however, fast forward the tape to the end, and then rewind it.

Back in the 60's, we were using reel to reel tape and this was considered standard practice. The purpose was to ensure that one layer of tape was not "stuck" to another, causing a minor drag on the tape, causing a minor drop in speed, as the tape was recorded.

Quality tapes are today built to much more exacting standards, and they are sealed in a cassette, and wrapped in a plastic film. However, I still follow this practice.

I think that it may help. The same benefit, if any, would be achieved by "Striping" the tape, but it takes much longer.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM   #25
Major Player

Jumping in a little late but just to add my experience...

My partner and I have done a number of 2 to 6 camera shoots that up to recently were all in the DV format. We have used Canon and Panosonic cameras for the most part and whenever we'd buy tapes for a shoot we'd always get at least a 5 pack or two of 80+ minutes Panasonic tapes to ensure that at least one camera was running when the others were switching.

I'm guessing (because I'm not in front of my wall of tapes right now) that I must have in the neighborhood of 50-80 tapes of the 80+ minute variety and I've probably already pulled more than half of them for editing without any issues. Some have been sitting on the shelf for 2+ years that I haven't pulled yet as projects get put on indefinite hold sometimes so maybe one of them will be problematic.

So add me to the 80+ min. tapes are okay (at least for DV) list.

-K
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Kevin,

Thanks for your feedback. I have decided to use the 80 minute tapes. Speaking to people (and hearing for videographers such as yourself) indicates that the quality etc is fine, and the logistical benefits are worth the extra cost.

Ciao,

marks
Mark Stavar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line