Sony Hvr-m15u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony Hvr-m15u

Anybody using this deck? Just recently purchased it and am having some issues.

Using this capture footage from DVCAM tapes with FCE as well as FCS2. Have tried to capture to different HDDs, both of which I have successfully captured to in the past, including using a Sony DSR-45. Two different puters, a G5 2G dualie and a Mac Mini. Same issues on everything.

Using Capture Clip on both programs. Issue is, although the footage plays back fine, it comes in with intermittant freezes, which of course cause everything to go out of sync. Have tried capturing short clips but doesn't help. Haven't tried Capture Now yet but I guess I may have to

At first I thought, that although the deck's menu was recognizing the DVCAM speed, it was trying to capture in DV mode. So I went into the menu and set iLink for DVCAM as well as everything else I could find. Still no go.

Has worked fine when capturing from mini DV tapes. In Final Cut my sequence settings match the capture; DV NTSC.

Any thoughts? Something I'm missing? Would appreciate the help. I upgraded to this deck from from the DSR-45 (which I had to sell) for future HDV needs. I've also used DSR-11s in the past with no issues. Hope I'm just missing something here.

Thanks in advance.
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Probably Software

So, I'm thinking its not the deck. It is capturing fine to FCP now but not FCE on either puter. I'm thinking maybe a QT issue though I never upgraded to the dreaded 7.3, only 7.1. Gonna try trashing receipts, etc and seeing if I can go back, at least on the Mini ... I never need even QT 7 to run FCE on that
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Trustee

I've been using the M15 for around a year now with Vegas and not a problem, sold my DSR-11 to finance the purchase and I much prefer the M15 to the DSR-11, the transport feels much more solid.

Make certain you select the same mode for the iLink interface as the tapes you're using. The VCR has an 'auto' mode and it can confuse NLEs. In auto mode the deck seems to switch what it's sending down the firewire connection when there's blank tape. However it seems like that's what you're doing. The DV / DVCAM setting only affects DV recording, just be careful as there's two different menu settings from memory.

Last edited by Bob Grant; November 30th, 2007 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line