Grade of tape vs. Brand of tape in my XH A1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 19th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1
Tourist

Grade of tape vs. Brand of tape in my XH A1

I just purchased a Canon XH A1 and am deliberating on what tape stock to use. I'm leaning toward Panasonic simply because I've used it in the past and liked the results.

Now I know that everyone warns against using different tapes in their camcorders, but my question is, what if it is is the same brand? Basically I want to use the Panasonic DVM63AMQ interchangeably with the DVM63PQ. Is this a bad idea? I've read so much on this and can't find a straight answer (don't know if there even is one).

Anyway, any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Peter Ostrander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Major Player

This whole tape debate issue has been beaten to death with a stick. I do exactly what you're thinking of doing & have no problems... well yet anyway. I say stick to the same brand, but stay away from much lower quality tape.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

We have 7 cameras and always have used the Panasonic DVM63PQ because they are a dry tape, which I understand the DVM63AMQ is also. Correct me if I am wrong, but I figured that running these 2 tapes would be like running the same tape. The bad part is switching tapes with different lubricants, and in this case there is none.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line