DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   DV Tape Rewinder (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/12691-dv-tape-rewinder.html)

Matt Elias July 31st, 2003 04:26 PM

DV Tape Rewinder

Would the purchase of a DV tape rewinder be necessary? Not sure how much wear it puts on my GL2 to rewind tapes. I've seen rewinders for $25 - not too expensive if it prolongs the life of my camera.

Cool, my 20th post. Guess that makes me a regular...

Don Bloom July 31st, 2003 04:37 PM

It's not necessary but I think you just answered your own question. Any wear and tear on a camera besides the actual purpose it was designed for in my opinion is excessive. I have a little rewinder that I use and have had no problems with it other than its slow but I would rather it be slow than put more wear and tear on the transport of my camera.
Just my $.04 cents worth (adjusted for a slow economy)
Don

Michael Wisniewski July 31st, 2003 05:28 PM

Try to get one that both fast forwards and rewinds, they cost almost the same:

- the fast forward feature can be a time saver.
- you can also use it to get rid of any slack in the tape.

Samuel Raj July 31st, 2003 06:09 PM

Where we can get these rewinder in US?

Matt Stahley July 31st, 2003 06:11 PM

I thought it was best to FF/RW tape in the camera before recording to reduce slack and for proper alignment on the heads?

Patricia Kim July 31st, 2003 07:43 PM

Samuel, I just bought a one-way rewinder made by Maxell for about $25 at a Long's Drugstore. One caveat: someone pointed out that you do take the risk of snapping your tape, so it's my intention to use the rewinder only after I have first downloaded any clips I want to my computer and/or have a good backup of anything I really want to keep - just in case.

Samuel Raj July 31st, 2003 08:12 PM

Thanks Patricia,

May be a high quality, costly rewinder if available, can do the best job.

Patricia Kim July 31st, 2003 08:25 PM

Samuel, some people are buying cheaper digicamcorders and using them, the theory being that they then have a backup camcorder, too. If you're going for a costly re-winder, maybe you should look into dv tape players, although, if you're going to do that, you might just as well consider getting another GS100 or something close to it.

Chris Hurd August 1st, 2003 12:18 PM

Howdy from Texas,

Our site sponsor Pro-Tape has a variety of Mini DV cassette rewinders for sale. Here's a complete list of them. Hope this helps,

Michael Wisniewski August 1st, 2003 11:09 PM

Chris, you have a comma in the Pro-Tape URL above

Jeff Donald August 1st, 2003 11:43 PM

Fixed, thanks Michael. I have posted on several occasions my thoughts on the limitations of rewinders. The biggest of which is the rough handling of a relatively fragile tape format. I own the Sima SRW-62 and I find it's performance lacking. It handles the tape in much to rough of a manner. It snaps the tape in both forward and reverse. In my opinion this is unacceptable in mini DV tapes.

While we all value the time and wear and tear on our expensive cameras (XL1, DVX100, PD150 etc.), nothing is more valuable than the tape. The footage I shoot and capture on tape is far more valuable than cost of replacing heads etc. Try explaining to a bride or corporate client that the tape was destroyed by rewinding the tape to avoid a little wear and tear on your precious camera. It's just not worth it to me. If anyone wants to buy it make an offer.

Roze Ann September 13th, 2003 08:52 PM

@ mini dv rewinders

I bought a Sima 2 way mini-rewinder from Pro-Tape (one of this forums sponsors). It was only $24.95 and I LOVE IT!!! Cannot even imagine how anyone would consider using a $2500 camera or even a $500 one as a rewind/ff machine. It's the best $25 +/- insurance you can buy. I HIGHLY recommend these to everyone. (Not doubting Jeff's comments at all... I may just be very blessed on this issue). Plus the run on AC adaptor (included) or AAA batteries so you can take them on location. I just leave mine plugged in next to the computer.

As soon as I return from a shoot the FIRST thing I do is unload the camera and pop the tape into the rewinder. Label the tape (if I haven't done so already) and put it in a cool 50 ct. mini-dv rack (also from Pro-Tape). Then when it is time to transfer I know everything is already wound to the beginning of the tape and we're good to go!

I have used the Sima to "pre-stretch" a few tapes when I had time ahead to do so. I use only Fuji DVC 60's and have had NO problems at all. Perfect performance. Do yourself a favor and get a rewinder. Honestly it is one of the best investments you can make.

Paul Chun March 25th, 2004 09:43 PM

Tape Rewinders

I read somewhere that MiniDV tape rewinders are bad for the tape. No real evidence to back that up. I just thought I'd throw this out to everyone to get some opinions. I just bought one and I wanted to know if it is indeed bad for the tape. I got it so that I don't put too much wear on the camera rewinding.

Jack Smith March 25th, 2004 11:07 PM

I'm using a Maxell rewinder. Goes real slow so I don't think it will cause any problem.Rewinders that are fast and don't have a brake or speed changer near the end of the tape can cause stretch and possibly breakage.
I wish I had a fast forward on it. That would be useful aswell
smitty

Ken Tanaka March 25th, 2004 11:33 PM

It may, at first, seem unsettling to trust a "dumb" device to rewind your tape. But in my experience with them, they're fine. I use a battery-powered winder/rewinder that probably cost $30 from Tape Resources.

Alessandro Machi March 26th, 2004 02:27 AM

My opinion is that the not slowing down when it gets to the beginning or end of the tape is grim.

I heard there is one kind of rewinder that is better than another. It might have something to do with how the two reels spin in relation to each other, but I'm not sure.

Ken Tanaka March 26th, 2004 02:37 AM

FWIW, mine does slow as the end nears. There seems to be some sort of sensory mechanism.

David Hurdon March 26th, 2004 07:08 AM

I've used my Maxell rewinder dozens of times without issues of any kind.

David Hurdon

Alessandro Machi March 26th, 2004 09:49 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : FWIW, mine does slow as the end nears. There seems to be some sort of sensory mechanism. -->>>

That seems quite sophisticated and well worth it. What did you pay for your rewinder?

Ken Tanaka March 26th, 2004 11:29 AM

See my post above.

Alessandro Machi March 26th, 2004 11:10 PM

Sorry Ken, I juxtaposed the responses while I was reasding them and thought someone else had purchased theirs for $30.00

Steve McDonald June 1st, 2004 03:52 AM

Ken, what is the brand and model of the battery-powered DV tape rewinder you said you got from Tape Resources? They have only the Maxell MDV-RW1 on their website at present. There are numerous warnings on customer reviews on comparison websites, saying that this model malfunctions and eats tapes frequently.

On the B&H website, they show two DV rewinders, powered by battery or AC adaptor, by Lenmar and Power 2000. They look exactly alike in their photos and their descriptions are identical. Do you suppose they are trustworthy?

Steve McDonald

Ken Tanaka June 1st, 2004 09:36 AM

Mine is a Sima model SRW-62. It's worked fine. It uses 4 AAA batteries.

I sure wouldn't buy a unit that has a bad rep, although I've never checked mine. Trustworthy? <shrug>

Steve McDonald June 1st, 2004 10:13 AM

Grazie, Ken, for that tip. I like Sima products. I've had two of their battery chargers for years and they've worked flawlessly, as well as several other of their odds and ends.

A rewinder seems such a small part of a video system, but if it chews up your tapes, it becomes quite significant.

Nathan Gifford June 1st, 2004 10:56 AM

BTW, I think Radio Shack is dumping the Maxell rewinders. They are selling the last models for $19.95

Steve McDonald June 7th, 2004 09:21 AM

I ordered the Sima SRW-62 DV rewinder from Crutchfield for $40. + $6. shipping. I should get it in my mailbox today. I have one well-used DV tape designated as the sacrificial test unit. I like the idea of using batteries and saving one of my scarce AC outlets in my multi-branched web of power strips and cords. I will run it through a dozen times, and see how well it's treated, before I put my precious camera tapes at its mercy. Report to follow in a few days.

Steve McDonald June 7th, 2004 06:33 PM

Review of Sima Rewinder

My Sima SRW-62 came in the mail today. I have run a DV tape forward and back in it several times and so far, so good. It still plays back without a glitch.

This little rewinder fits in the palm of my hand and is running on 4 AAA batteries. You can buy an optional AC adaptor for it that outputs 6 volts DC, 500 Ma. It runs smooth and quietly. The cassette is easy to insert and it's best to tip it up and let gravity pull it out.
It is said to have a smart sensor that shuts it off, before it might crash at the tape end. This seemed to work.

It's advertized as running through a 60-min. tape in 2 minutes. It took 2 min., 15 sec. to fast-forward and 2 min.
24 sec. to rewind. Perhaps it would be a bit faster on an AC adaptor. If it drains the batteries too fast, I will dig one out of my parts bin and use it. But, the batteries make it handy. You could take it into the field and at home, it doesn't occupy a scarce AC outlet.

I also have a Solidex 8mm/Hi-8 rewinder that has worked for 15 years and has never damaged a tape. However, it is difficult to fit a cassette into it just right and it's tempermental in getting it to engage and start. The Sima SRW-62 has no such problems and is much faster. I'll wait a couple of months before I pass full judgement on it, but for now, I see no reason not to give it a good rating. Thanks to Ken T. for suggesting it.

Ken Tanaka June 7th, 2004 09:40 PM

Seeing a notice of your follow-up post to this thread I couldn't help cringing. I really didn't want to read that your new Sima arrived with a big appetite.

Delighted to learn the contrary, Steve! That's a true "tip" on ejecting the tape, too.

Mark A. Foley June 22nd, 2004 08:43 AM

I just received a Lenmar MDV66 rewinder...from the specifications I assumed it would slow near the end like Ken's Sima unit...but it don't. I'm a little concerned about using this rewinder. Has anyone used this model for sometime? Any problems?

Steve McDonald June 22nd, 2004 05:14 PM

Mark, even when a tape rewinder is specified as "slowing" near the end of the reel, it doesn't really slow in the sense that it reduces its drive speed. What actually happens is that it senses the clear leader several inches from the end and stops. This causes the tape to be almost or completely motionless when the leader section reaches its end. I don't know if your Lenmar model does this or not. To test my rewinder, I ran an old, unimportant tape back and forth near the end a dozen times, to see if it would be damaged. With my Sima rewinder, I could detect no problem with this tape.
If you used a DV tape more often than this, it might develop degradation from other causes.

How these little rewinders sense the leader, I don't know. A VCR has a continuously burning little light that shines through the transparent leader and triggers a sensor that stops the tape.
VCRs also have "smart" tape position awareness that slows the drive motor some distance from the tape's end.

Someone needs to sacrifice their rewinder to dissect it and analyze its mechanisms, so the rest of us will be informed about this.

I have an old S-VHS camcorder with a small tape-inspection window in its cassette hatch door. Several times when I was shooting in late afternoon and bright sunlight was coming at a low angle, it abruptly stopped recording.
Only after some time, did it dawn on me that the sunlight was going in at just the right angle to strike the tape-end sensor and shut it down. I solved this, by putting a piece of tape over the window. If you have a VCR opened to inspect its tape drive in motion, you have to be careful where you shine a flashlight or even let a bright overhead light penetrate, as the drive motor can be stopped by it.

Steve McDonald

Mark A. Foley June 23rd, 2004 04:49 AM

Thanks for the response Steve....
I may go ahead and use the rewinder based on low use of the tapes as you mention. My record process is this:

1. FF and Rewind the tape just prior to use.

2. Record once and then rewind for capture

I beginning to believe with this short use the rewinder shouldn't have much effect on the tape...

Thoughts anyone?

Mikko Wilson July 21st, 2004 12:56 PM

Sorta off the topic, but a kinda neat trick for anyone out there using Digital8..
As you've probably noticed, a Digi8 camera is RIDICULOUSLY slow at rewinding - i'm sure i coudl hand crank faster.
however it's still a 8mm tape.. got a Hi8 or 8mm camera or deck lying around? stick your Digi8 tape in that and hit Rewind (or FF) presto, nice fast transport! - good luck reading timecode off it tho. :-P

- Mikko

Jody Hadachek September 30th, 2004 05:38 PM

What mini-DV rewinder to buy???

Well unfortunately, my XL1s has started to eat my tapes when it re-winds. I did a search and there were other folks that have had the same problem. They all say the same thing, send it in to get it worked on. However, right now I can't be without my camera as I need it for some shoots. Until I can send it in, what would be a quality mini-DV rewinder to buy?? I heard that the cheaper ones give you an even greater risk of having a tape eaten up. I need something that will work ...... can you help me?

Glenn Chan September 30th, 2004 05:41 PM

What about getting a cheaper camcorder? It is a cheap way to get a deck for capturing footage. This will save wear and tear on your XL1. If you shoot a lot, it is a good idea to get a deck (or cheap camcorder) for capturing footage. Repairing a XL1 whose heads have worn down costs several hundred dollars.

Jody Hadachek September 30th, 2004 05:51 PM

Hey Glenn,

Do you mean buy a cheaper mini dv camcorder to view your footage on, and just use the XL1s for recording purposes? I need the quality of the XL1s for my shoots ....

Glenn Chan September 30th, 2004 06:19 PM

You can get a cheap used/second hand mini-DV camcorder to capture DV footage into your computer.

It will give you the exact same quality since it's 1s and 0s being transferred.*

*caveats: There are situations where there are errors in the 1s and 0s being transferred, which causes dropouts.

If you record LP mode in the XL1, it may be that the XL1 that recorded the footage is the best at reading that particular tape. You could/should avoid LP mode and use 80min DV tapes instead of LP mode. Avoid LP mode to avoid these problems.

In other scenarios, the quality of the deck/camcorder will affect how well it reads tape. Head alignment is also a factor. Cheap camcorders might give you problems here- I have a Samsung SCD55 that does this (avoid Samsung). Sony Panasonic and Canon cameras don't have these problems in my experience.

A professional USD$1500+ deck may be more likely to capture DV without dropouts. In practice however, you should find that dropouts are very rare and when they do occur:
A- It's a minor glitch and doesn't really affect final product quality. One dropout is not a big deal.
B- You may be able to re-capture.
C- Visual dropouts are easily fixable with Photoshop magic.
D- Audio dropouts do occur, and they are not easily fixable. However, they are even rarer than video dropouts.

So in conclusion... you should probably get a cheap mini-DV camcorder. I prefer Sony Canon Panasonic just so they have decent deck control and decent quality as a deck (my Samsung does NOT have this). I'd lean towards an old Panasonic camcorder. Old camcorders may have features new ones lack (analog-digital passthrough, bottom loading). Those things don't make a huge difference though.

Jody Hadachek September 30th, 2004 06:40 PM

Glen,

I really appreciate your input on this. Let me give you the skinny on my recording needs. When I record hunts, I do so on a freelance basis. I don't do any of my own editing or real capturing. I record the footage, and then send the tapes off and the production company will edit at their own desire. So basically, I need something to rewind the mini DV tapes simply to see what I put down and see what else I need to record as supplemental footage. That's it. I know I need to fix the XL1s - but I start filming hunts tomorrow and can't be without it. Do you still think a cheaper mini-DV would work for just viewing/re-winding footage I've put down? Sorry if I'm being a pain with this!!!

Barry Gribble September 30th, 2004 06:46 PM

Jody,

Yes, exactly. I shoot all of my footage on my XL1 and never play or rewind anything back in it. For that I use a Canon ZR40, the lowest end MiniDV camera - it replays the XL1 footage perfectly. It is much cheaper than an actual DV deck (not sure about cost of rewinders) and it gives the secondary advantage of being a fine home video camera for shooting things that I don't want to lug the XL1 out to.

Best Buy has this level camera starting at just over $300. Other places will be cheaper.

Good luck.

Jody Hadachek September 30th, 2004 06:55 PM

Barry ... thank you!!

Wayne Starick October 2nd, 2004 11:51 PM

I bought a dedicated rewinder - brand name Kinyo. It cost me about $50 Oz dollars.

http://www.videoguys.com.au/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=242