Is there a certain recommended brand/model of tape for shooting movies/film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old December 28th, 2003, 11:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there a certain recommended brand/model of tape for shooting movies/film

Is there a certain recommended brand/model of tape for shooting movies/film on a DV camcorder? Would the "Professional" series of a tape make any difference in recording wise (image/sound) or stability and probably be used for shooting movies or a big project rather than recreational use? I have a GL2 and I want to shoot a big project (2-3hours) movie -- currently I use the Panasonic DVM60EJ series which are standard, any useful advantages for using a better panasonic model?
David Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

David,
Definitely so a Search on this topic. As this is probably one of the top 5 questions here we must have hundreds of threads on the topic. None of which, by the way, present a definitive answer to your question.

Bottom line:
- Use the best tape you can possibly afford. Although this is a digital medium there are differences in grades, such as better substrate and minimal abrasion. These differences may or may not be a factor for your work. But for the relatively small additional cost of using a good grade of tape, why risk it?

- Pick a brand (and probably a grade, too) and stick with it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #3
Major Player

In that case, I believe it isn't recommended to mix different BRANDS of tapes, but what about SAME brand, different MODELs/quality? If I say I stick with Panasonic but the first few months use standard, then maybe use some more professional tapes -- you think that would be okay?
Old December 29th, 2003, 04:00 AM   #4
Outer Circle

I have some info here with further tape info links:

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #5
Wrangler

Dave,

Like Ken and Frank have said, do the search. There are tons of posts on this subject and there is not definative answer.

Find a good profssional brand and stick with it. The difference in price are small and not worth the headaches.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 11:59 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

<<<-- Originally posted by David Ho : If I say I stick with Panasonic but the first few months use standard, then maybe use some more professional tapes -- you think that would be okay? -->>>

That's probably fine. In my opinion, the PQ Panasonics are probably ideal for the serious / advanced hobbyist. If you can afford the MQ's, better yet.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2004, 05:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Ok. I'm sticking with the DVM63MQ series. Just ordered a few packs of them. I haven't used my GL2 yet (Got the camcorder last 2 days and deciding which tapes to use), and from what I've read, I wouldn't want to risk the damages for a small price. Think I made a good decision? So, I guess I'll be sticking to the MQs forever. I've invested a great amount of money on the GL2, and I want it to have maximum longevity.
Old January 1st, 2004, 01:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Fuji

From what i hear fuji is a good brand and on the low cost end. It's not a pro tape but I have never heard if ot letting anyone down.
Neo Castillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line