Drop Outs On Deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 5th, 2004, 02:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Drop Outs On Deck

I have been using a JVC HR-DVS2EU Mini DV / S-VHS deck for two years and have had no problems until of late. I use the deck for primary capture and mastering final edits.

Recently when capturing from tapes either shot on my old Panasonic camera or from my new Canon XM2 I get lots of errors.

As an experiment I then tried capturing from old edited tapes that I new were OK with the same result.

I have cleaned the heads using a Panasonic head cleaning tape.

So I ask the question is it possible the problem lies with dirty tape transport mechanisims?

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cliff Elliott
Cliff Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

If the headcleaning did not help anything then it might be time
to send the unit in for repair would be my guess. See if you can
capture a tape fine from the camera that shot it. If so then it
isn't a problem in the cable/computer etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You Are Right

Rob, it would appear I was not thinking clearly, I don't know why but I did not even consider the idea of capturing from one of my cameras until you mentioned it, and guess what, you were right.

It would appear the deck will have to go in for repairs or adjustment as I captured over two hours of material from the same tapes using my old Panasonic camera without a glitch or error.

Such is life.

Regards, Cliff Elliott
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Major Player

What kind of errors are you getting? and have you recently changed computer equipment when this problem started. I too had problems with a JVC deck. I was getting intermittent 1-frame mosaic blocks...and this is what I found out from JVC:

These errors are different from the common DV errors or as some call it pixelization. Those errors have several causes.

It seems to relate to the grounding environment between the deck and the particular computer. This is why so few people have this problem.

We have a modification that can improve it but not eliminate it since the computer itself is likely related somehow to the problem.

The symptoms are twofold:
1. the errors are misshaped data blocks mostly occuring on edges in the image and are usually fo only one or two frames and usually only every couple minutes or so.
2. they occur when 1394 is connected. In otherwords, if you play a tape with the 1394 disconnected and watch carefully you will not see the errors, but when you connect the 1394 and play the same tape, if you watch very carefully you will see the errors go by even if you are just playing back and not digitizing.

This may not have anything to do with you problem...but I thought I would share it with you.....
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 01:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank You

Thanks for the information Mark, I am going to test this to see if this is what is happening.

I havn't changed any of my computer qeuipment for some time as I have a very stable system using an old Canapus DV Raptor card.

But you still may be onto something as I remember when copying from the DV side of the deck to the VHS side I do not remember having any errors.

And the description you gave is very simmilar to what I get, its just the occasional one or two sqaue pxel block for one frame that happens every ten minutes or so.

Again thank you for you input and I will report back on my testing.

Regards, Cliff Elliott.
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

After Testing

Mark I have performed a number of tests over the last few days and believe I have the same problem you indicated in your post.

This is what I did, I ran a tape of an edit on the deck without being connected via firewire, it did not miss a beat.

I then ran the same tape using the firewire connection and the Canopus capture control on the computer to control play, guess what, I had ocasional dropouts as described before.

I repeated this process with unedited tapes taken straight out of the camera with simmilar results.

On the basis of this I would like to know more about the solutions or workarounds you have come up with.

More importantly I would like to know what JVC can offer in the way of a fix.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks Mark.

Regards, Cliff Elliott
Old January 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Cliff,
I had to send my deck back to a JVC service center to modifications. It appears this problem is cropping up on many JVC components...many different forums all reporting the same thing....
Old January 21st, 2004, 04:17 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you

Thanks Mark, I will contact my local JVC centre this week and see what response I get.

I love this forum

Regards, Cliff Elliott
Old January 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Cliff, do you use Sony tapes per chance? If so, do you use Sony "Premium"?
TIA,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Tapes

No Randy I use Panasonic tapes, the part number is AY-DVM63PQ
this is the tape I have been using for five years now with the exception to the ocassional TDK tape when I could not get the Panasonic ones.

Why do you ask?
Old January 22nd, 2004, 04:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Oh nothing I guess, it's just since you have a JVC deck I was(we in another thread entitled "Glitches, what would you do?") just wondering if Sony tapes might be a factor in the SR version of the deck.
Thanks anyway,
Randy
Old January 26th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #12
Regular Crew

My JVC camcorder (GY-DV301) can no longer playback (but recording works fine) properly ever since I used a couple of Sony "Premium" tapes.

Cleaning does not solve the problem either.
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #13
Major Player

Randy.
I'm beginning to believe (based on researching other/similair threads) that our problem may be a combination of events/processes that leard to the glitches. However, the main culprit(s) is the JVC deck...followed by the use of Sony tapes...with a possible grounding environment situation thrown in.....
Old January 27th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #14
Major Player

Well I guess the first thing I'm trying will be a JVC tape (even though others have reported the problem using other brands...however not a JVC as of yet). I'll let you know the results Mark.
Randy
Old August 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #15
Major Player

For those interested the following is a copy/paste of an email I just sent Ken Freed at JVC regarding the SR-VS30 problem:

The problem is not with the deck, it is apparently the "defective" wiring (improper ground) of the electrical source.
Prior to buying the deck I bought a "Master Piece Plus" by Kensington which is a protective power supply for computers. It has 3 LED lights on it: "surge protection", "low voltage", and "wiring OK". The "wiring OK has always been red in color while the rest have been green. I never gave it much thought until my recent relocation move. It is now green and lo and behold the deck captures flawlessly!!!
The old house had some outlets that were only 2-prong; although I was using 3-prong in my editing bay I believe the house was not "double grounded". Now I can't tell you how to fix the problem but I can tell you that this is the culprit and I bet your techs can find a solution with this information. Anyway, I'll bet that if you ask anyone having this problem to go down to the hardware store and buy a circuit checker (or whatever they call it) you'll find that there is no double-ground" (or whatever they call it).

Sincerely,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line