Panasonic DV tape problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 18th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic DV tape problem

Hello, I have isolated a problem that I feel is attributed to my Panasonic AY-DVM63MQ "MASTER" tapes. Basically, I get a sound buzz when pausing or scurbbing in the capture window of Premiere Pro using a Matrox RTX100 card. A whole thread regarding this problem can be found here on the Matrox board...

http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/rtx100/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=001331

My question is, what are your opinions regarding the best mini DV tape to use?

I shoot with a GL2 and use a JVC SR-VS30U as an editing deck.

I never had problems with the Pani Masters with my Pinnacle DV-500 setup. The pani "Professionals" I notice a fair amount of drop-outs and would rather use a better tape.

Anyone?
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Warden

What happens when you play back the camera original tape, in the camera that recorded it? In other words, if you recorded the tape in the GL2, capture it using the GL2.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jeff,
Tried playing back those Masters in all my cameras and decks. Still get the buzz. However, if I switch to the Pro tapes, works fine. I even tried a Master tape from last year to check if I got a bad batch. Same noise buzz. Something about those Master tapes and my setup with my Matrox does not jell.

What kind of tapes are you using?
Old March 18th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Warden

So the answer to my question is you captured from the camera that recorded the tape, yes?

I use Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ. Rarely a dropout, if there is it's always in the first or last minute. No audio problems.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old March 18th, 2004, 06:29 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks, Jeff.

Yes, I use a GL2 and that was the first camera I tried. However, when I first did try it I made the mistake of using a "Pro" tape and it worked fine. Then I realized my mistake, tried the "Master" tape I was having problems with and voila - same problems with the same tape in my GL2 - "capture" deck. I tired a combination of camera, decks and tapes after that and it all came down to the Panasonic Master tapes.

What camera are you using, Jeff? GL2? That EJ tape is half the price. What's up with that?
Old March 18th, 2004, 08:18 PM   #6
Warden

I use an XL1s and I used to own an XL1 until a few months ago. Never a problem with the pro tapes, only tape I've ever used. But many XL1 users here use the Master tape and swear buy it. I have no explanation as to how a switch in tapes would cause a hum. It baffles me.

Old March 19th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #7
New Boot

Jeff,
I was completely baffled and frustrated too. I could not understand how a tape was causing a sound problem. Slept on it and tried a new experiment.

Success.

The tapes I shot in "Movie Frame" mode on my GL2 which I suppose is Canon's progressive scan are the tapes that are causing all the buzz upon capture. Are you familiar with the Matrox? Is there a setting I need to adjust to fix this problem when I capture tapes recorded in Frame mode on Canons?
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #8
New Boot

Matrox just informed me:

"Please note that RT.X100 does not support progressive mode. Therefore, there are no available settings to adjust to capture these tapes with RT.X100."

I shoot most of my work in progressive. Any solutions would be appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line