Which Betasp deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which Betasp deck?

I need to purchase a betasp deck to record to, any suggestions, would like something with firewire.
thoughts?
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Contributor

Betacam decks are analog--no firewire capability. With any Betacam deck, you want to record component-in. The composite signal isn't so great, but the component looks good. Are you planning on transferring tapes from a camera to the Betacam deck? No problem if your camera will give you component out (like the Canon XH A1 and others of that ilk). All you'd have to do is get RCA to BNC adapters for you camera's component cable. If you're going from a computer then you'd need one of those conversion boxes. The UVW1800 was a pretty decent cheap Betacam SP deck and can be found on eBay on occasion. Back when I was making Betacam masters I always had to use a black burst generator too, but they're cheap.

What are you going to do with Betacam tapes?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Major Player

The PVW 2800 series isn't too bad either. The 1800's were cheap and OK but did have some transport problems, be careful. And Bill's right, both the UVW and PVW series want video sync from the same source they are recording from. Sometimes you can use the composite video out from the source and use it as the 'sync' source. (It has the burst and horiz. sync info a black burst generator supplies, so it can work.)

If you are using a typical prosumer camcorder, you will need female RCA to male BNC adapters to handle the video, cause BetaCam decks only use pro BNC connectors. Also, those decks use XLR for audio inputs, so you'll need adapters there too.

Sorry if I'm getting a bit 'techie' on you, but you should know what you're getting into. And not to sound arrogant, but pro gear like Beta decks was built for people with a fair amount of training/knowledge, i.e. professionals. I'm not trying to scare you off, a deck is still a deck, but yu might have to figure a few things out.
Eric Lagerlof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys!
What do you think I should do. I have a xha1 camera. Should I transfer the data back to a minidv and then transfer to betasp deck? Or I how could I do a direct connection from my quad core box to this betasp deck? I am a little lost when it comes to this stuff, but my network requires betasp tape.
Also, since the betasp deck has xlr do i need something for this to have my audio sound correct?
Thanks in advance, really appreciate it.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Contributor

Probably the easiest and cheapest thing to do is take a master tape to a dub house.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Bill is right unless: you HAVE no dub house close to you; or you do a LOT of these.

For the price of an analog IO solution and a deck, you could do a LOT of transfers. Of course, theoretically, if your system is set up right you can get better transfers directly out of your edit bay to Beta rather than going to DV first but...
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

yeah, my problem is there is no close studio, closest would be 45mins, just isnt worth it to me. What would I need to connect a betasp deck to my windows based computer, using sony vegas?
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'm a Mac/FCP guy so I'll let someone else chime in here.

Keep in mind though that if you're shooting in HD, you'll have to establish whether you need to provide a centre cut 4:3, letterbox 16:9 or anamorphic 16:9 master to the broadcaster. BetaSP has no "flag" to set playback as it was invented during SD 4:3 exclusive times.
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

any thoughts anyone?
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Major Player

You just need a dv->analog box. Something like this: Grass Valley | ADVC-110 Bidirectional Media Converter | 602029 There are cheaper and more expensive units with varying features.

You may or may not have audio level issues between the RCA outs of this box and the XLRs of the beta deck. I'm not sure what range of control is available on the various decks. You may need a RCA->XLR box to get the levels correct. (in which case it may make sense to get a converter box with XLR outs).
Old May 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Andy. I also so this box, but very expensive: Grass Valley | ADVC700 Bidirectional Media Converter | 602074

Since I am filming in hdv and shoot in 16:9, will this be able to convert it to that format, but in analog. Can you think of anything else I would need?
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Major Player

Let's step back a moment, you haven't told us what you are outputting with. I'm assuming you are just using a PC with a firewire plug? No add-on boxes? How much money do you want to spend?

I'm not real familiar with your camera but you may be able to use a SD component output direct to the beta deck and just buy this: Samson | S-CONVERT - Stereo Line Level Converter | SASCONV | B&H for the audio side.

Otherwise that inexpensive D->A and one of these will do ya. This is bottom of the barrel but it should work fine. Is it the ulitmate in high fidelity? Hell no. But probably good enough for small market broadcast/cable tv. If they're still using betaSP, I'll be willing to be that the rest of their plant isn't top of the line.

Using the camera as your d->a box might actually do a little better than the cheesy GV box.

As the above poster noted, betaSP is 4:3 only. When you output your video, it has to be 4:3. You have to choose to crop or letterbox and do that in your NLE. HDV is totally irrelevant at this point--you will be outputing old fashioned DV. Do not be tempted by any widescreen DV option.
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks again Andy, I will definitely get that audio box. So the other box you suggested for video, I would use my firewire port to go to this box and from this box it will go to my betasp deck. Then all I would need is a svideo cord from this converter box to the beta sp deck? Now I do have svideo on my video card, could I use this to go to my betasp deck?
Just curious.
Thank you so much for your info!!
Old May 18th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Regular Crew

thoughts anyone?
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #15
Contributor

Most Betacam decks do have an S-video input.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line