Tape duplication question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 20th, 2002, 07:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tape duplication question

I usually only produce video footage for various interactive multimedia productions that we do on CDROM.

Recently I have been asked to do video work which needs to go to tape, so I purchased an S-VHS tape deck and recorded my productions direct from my computer (using a Matrox 2500 card and Premier 6) to the deck to give to the client as a master.

I was disappointed with the output as there seemed to be quite a big picture loss going from digital to analog.

So my question is this... should I rather output back to Mini DV format onto a deck or my XL1s, and then get a professional company to produce the master? Would a professional dupe company have equipment which would do a better job then my S-VHS deck and be able to produce a master which is at least close to the digital output, or would it essentially be the same as using my S-VHS deck?

Is there equipment that I can purchase which would produce a better analog copy, then my $150 JVC deck that I bought from Circuit City that is reasonaly priced? If so, what?

Thanks for any advice folks,

Ron
Ron Stoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2002, 07:58 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Ron,
Have you looked through this thread? It looks like much the same subject as your interests.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2365

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 06:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ken:

Yes, I read through that thread, but that seems to be all about mass duplication.

My question relates to giving my clients(s) a master tape which is a close to the digital version as possible in terms of quality.

How do you minimize loss of picture quality? Will more expensive equipment do better than my $150 S-VHS deck. Will I do better by going to a professional duplicating company?

What do you do?

Regards

Ron
Old June 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

There are various gizmos available that claim to help you produce better VHS copies. For example:

http://www.elitevideo.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-80.html?L+scstore+zbfr2188+1060798355

I'm sure that some can be beneficial and some are snake-oil. But the bottom-line is as someone here recently remarked: VHS at it's best is crap.

Have you considered using DVD for distribution?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM   #5
Wrangler

DV has a minimum TV resolution of at least 500 lines and so converting down to S-VHS, which has only 400Lines of TV resolution, there will always be quality loss.

How many heads has your S-VHS deck got?

All the best,

Ed
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 10:06 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

With S-VHS decks, you get what you pay for. I bought a $400 JVC HR-S9800 with a time-base corrector and noise reduction, and have been very pleased with the results.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2002, 11:29 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Mmmm..OK I think I get the picture.

I'm editing using a very high resolution SONY monitor (PVM-14M2U) producing 600 lines of resolution, so when I have to go down to 250 lines it looks crap (as Ken so eloquently put it).

I guess there is really no way of overcoming that technical truth - 250 lines is not as good as 600 - period.

Also, if one is going to mass distribute a tape for general consumption, you have to play to the lowest common denominator which is VHS. Not everyone has S-VHS recorders or TV'S.

Roll on HDTV!

Thanks everyone for your input...

Ron
Old June 24th, 2002, 01:57 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

Ron. S-VHS recorders tend to do better "normal plain" VHS
recording as well. So this might be interesting for you.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line