What Mini DV tapes do you use? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 25th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #16
Major Player

I use Panasonic DVC tapes in my XL1. I've used Fuji before, and they are also a solid brand.

I steer clear of TDK and Sony. TDK is slightly thinner and seems more prone to dropouts. Sony tapes use a wet lubricant that tends to gum up non-Sony cameras and decks (however in Sony cams, they rock).
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #17
Tourist

Been using Panasonic Master quality 63 and 83 minute tapes. Great quality never a problem so far.
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:59 AM   #18
Major Player

I just started using the MQ's because for some reason they were cheap ($6.00?) at B&H last week (not online, but in the store), but I've used everything from regular Fuji's, TDK's, and Maxell's to Sony Excellence (well only one of those @ $14!), and now the Panny MQs. I never had a drop out or artifacting from any of them, so I'd say the cheaper the better. The only thing to avoid is longer length tapes becuase the longer the tape the less tensile strength it will have.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #19
New Boot

in my sony vx1000 and sony vx2100 all ive used has been sony premiums and excellence, i use each tape about 50/50. i figure since i have sony camcorders sony tapes should work the best. ive never had a dropout/glitch/problem in general ever. the only problem that ive had was in my vx1000 while it forces you to eject the tape yet i know how to fix the problem and its common in older cameras such as itself. id definately stay with either sony's or fuji's
Old December 10th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #20
Wrangler

If your shooting professionally (for profit) you should be using something other than consumer grade tapestock. Just my .02
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2004, 10:16 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've used only Fuji DVC in my GL2. I borrowed an XL1s for an extended period of time which was only to be fed Sony Excellence tapes.

I've shot probably 20 tapes with my GL2, never ever had a problem.

I shot around 60 Sony Excellences with the XL1s, also never had any dropouts. However, I did get one tape that made noise. I think it was a manufacturing defect. But it was embarassing, because I used the XL1s for pro use, and the GL2 for personal use.

We were in the middle of an interview and I had just put another Sony Excellence in, and it kept squeaking. I replaced it with another tape, have never had a problem since.

I love Fuji because you can get them for $3. The cheapest I can buy Sony Excellence for is $7.50.

Levelse7en@gmail.com
John Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line