Convert PAL vhs to NTSC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old August 13th, 2004, 08:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Convert PAL vhs to NTSC

My friend came home with a video from Africa, and I think it is PAL. Is there anyway to convert that over to NTSC through some feeding process of camera via pc's or something.

Thanks.
Fred Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't done this myself, but as I understand it you could capture the video into an NLE (such as Adobe Premiere Pro) in PAL format, and then just export it in NTSC format? I think it will just chop about 100 pixel lines off the bottom. I did export NTSC footage to PAL once, and it just added a big black bar to the bottom of my footage (and made it unplayable on my TV). Do a search on the topic as this has surely been discussed over and over again.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah i did a search but they didn't answer my question. I don't have access to a pal vcr, and all i have is a pal version of a vhs cassette that i need to get into my pc to convert to ntsc...
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:36 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

If you don't have access to a PAL playback deck, then your best bet will be to take the tape to a local small video business that offers this service (PAL - NTSC conversion) and have them do the capture and conversion for you. If there isn't a small video business in your area, tell us where you are and we'll help you find one.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm in Rhode Island.
Old August 15th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Also check out the focus enhancements web site under the section with the firestore systems on it. They now have a suite of softeware applications that does several format conversions and I believe PAL to NTSC is one of the things this software can do. Otherwise I believe the previous poster is correct, capture it in Premiere or other application and output it as NTSC - however, you will need a PAL format deck to do that.

Check Markertek for multiformat VHS decks. They are pricey so don't be too shocked. The good news is, if you buy one and let a lot of people know about it, you could offer format conversions as part of your business.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line