dub from Sony mini-dv not readable on XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 13th, 2004, 12:11 PM   #1
New Boot

dub from Sony mini-dv not readable on XL1

A kind hearted individual is trying to help me out by supplying some supplemental event footage I need. But there is a problem ..

My XL1 (unfortunately is my deck) can't read the tape he sent me. He went from DV Cam to Beta to Mini DV on Sony equipment.

I can see individual frames if I pause during playback but otherwise it *seems* as if the frame rate is too fast or too slow. The effect is similar to (if you're old enough to remember) a vertical hold problem on old TV set.

Any ideas?

thanks
Lorraine Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Find out if your friend recorded the mini dv footage in lp mode from the beta....I've had problems like that before..

Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:24 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks - I'll ask him.
Old September 20th, 2004, 02:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I think it's because All Sony DV (consumer or not) reads DVcam as well.

Since your friend went from DVcam to a consumer DV, assuming beta also handles DVcam w/o problem (since its a sony anyway) it is effectively still in DVcam mode.

XL-1s (or Canon's for that matter) can't handle DVcam

I went from a DSR500 to an XL-1 and it didn't work (gave me jerky individual frames like you mentioned) for certain, but worked on a Panny 1 ccd consumer, for some reason.

Guess Panasonic is DVcam friendly too
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:33 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My guess is a DVCam v. DV problem. If you are making a dub to your Sony Deck, you can certainly switch it to DV mode. This will allow the tape to play in any DV deck/camera.

Cheers
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Wesley, I'm just curious if you can recall the model number (or at least year) of the Panny that played back DVCam?
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

er, nope. Sorry. but it coulda been a JVC as well. There were mixtures of consumer camcorders for the 1st years in Uni. I can't really remember the model, but they were pretty used.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks anyway. I'd love to get my hands on a tape with DVCam video on it so I could see if/how my own camera (PV-DV851) would handle it.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2004, 05:54 PM   #9
New Boot

thanks to all

The dvcam theory sounds likely, however I won't know for several weeks because my counterpart with the Sony left town for a job.

Thanks to all who replied!
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:43 PM   #10
Contributor

I'd also vote that the tape is DVCAM. Most Sony DVCAM decks will not record DV, although some of the lower end models, such as the DSR11, will record DV as well as DVCAM. Some JVC and some Panasonic decks will play DVCAM but only record DV.

You might see if you can find somebody with any Sony miniDV camera you can borrow. Almost all their cameras, even the consumer single chip ones, will also play DVCAM properly.

There is one other problem it could also be--a head alignment issue with the XL1. If the XL1 has its heads out of alignement, then it would play back tapes it recorded but would not properly play back tapes from other cameras or decks. I've heard of several XL1s and GL1s that had head alignment problems, and this happened. However, in your case I'd vote first for the DVCAM issue.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line