Your favorite DV tape? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 27th, 2003, 11:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

DVCAM Tapes

I use Sony DVM60.
I've learned to never reuse a tape unless it's the difference between not getting a shot and getting a once in a lifetime shot.

My experience with DVCAM...

The unit I shoot for accidently bought DVCAM tapes for their portable miniDV recorder instead of miniDV tapes. They were stored away in a file cabinet for quite some time.

One very busy day, I ran out of tape. Someone gave me the DVCAM tape and explained the "bought-in-error" story. I had never seen a DVCAM tape before - it looked just like a miniDV tape - except it had what looked like small, embedded, rectangular metal contacts. I put it in my XL-1 and did some test shots and playback; seemed to work fine.

When I got home, I put the DVCAM tape into my editing deck - a JVC HR-DVS2. (I never use the XL-1 as a playback deck... er... anymore). The deck wouldn't accept the tape. Every time I pushed it in, it spit it back out again.

Bottom line... I saw no quality difference between the the DVCAM tape and the Sony DVM60. The DVCAM tape is much more expensive, and records for a shorter period of time.
I shoot in a very dynamic, unscripted environment and can't say "Just a minute, I have to load a new tape." The DVCAM tape is not compatible with my editing deck.
Eric Lian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I've been using TDKs exclusively ($24/6 pack at CostCo)and haven't experienced any problems. Is there any information on longetivity ? Pinnacle Studio8 has a dropped frame counter,
but I've never had a Firewire video transfer "Capture" lose
frames. I've noticed some "dropouts", but that's because I'm fiddling with the camera. There's a dropped frame counter
in Studio8. As long as it's accurate, I'm totally confident with
TDK tapes. I've transfer 60-90 minutes of video/month over
the last 2.5 years.
Vince Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 10:16 PM   #18
New Boot

tapes

I just picked up some Panasonic DVC Professional Super LinearPlus tapes. I couldn't find the Master Series.

How do these rate by comparison?

David
David L. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:15 AM   #19
New Boot

Your favorite DV tape?

So I'm hereby going to assume that according to what I've read here and at other posts concerning tapes and head cleaning at this site, that it's really not too serious which brand you use use as long long as you use a better quality tape in the brand and pretty much stick with that brand after you start, and not to go back and forth EVER between a wet lube tape and a dry lube. Is there any preference for a head cleaning tape?
I use all panasonics so far. I live in a fairly dusty area, and recently cleaned the head for the first time. I was actually sweating this, as I've heard much say on the rec.video.desktop newsgroup in the past about getting heads on the xl1s goobered up by switching tapes. But know one seemingly had any definite authority in saying which tapes could or would produce those problems.
I used it for 5 seconds and it cleared up nicely.
Thanks for all the information here concerning the use of various tapes, and head cleaning procedures. I breathe easier now!!!
Russ Evenhouse
Russ Evenhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2003, 06:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Im a TDK user. The price, and quality are just right for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line