DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   my tapes were x-rayed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/33028-my-tapes-were-x-rayed.html)

Graham Jones October 5th, 2004 09:12 PM

my tapes were x-rayed

I have done a search for this and read a variety of posts. People seem to agree that the x-rays don't affect the stock - but suggest trying to get excused anyway. This isn't re-assuring and my attitude has been I'm going to use all my powers of persuasion to avoid that machine.

I was unesuccessful but feel okay because I was en route and the stock was blank.

On the way home, however, the tapes will be crammed with digital information and I have to accept the possibility that won't l get around the x-ray machine again.

Is there risk to my footage and should I have send it home by registered post?

Please respond. Thanks.

Jeff Donald October 5th, 2004 09:15 PM

X-Rays will not damage magnetic media. Anyone saying anything different is repeating old wives-tales.

Terry Thompson October 5th, 2004 11:16 PM

x-rays and DV tape

Ok I jump in with my small knowledge of magnetic media vs. x-rays.

I have been through the x-ray machine many times with my camera and haven't lost any footage. I don't think x-rays have the ability to scatter or rearrange magnetic particles...at least not in the strength used in the airport machines. My guess is that if the x-rays were really strong they would affect the plastic polymer that holds the magnetic particles and not the particles themselves.

The great thing about this web site is if you're wrong someone will let you know fairly soon.

Keep your tapes away from magnetic fields such as large speakers with strong magnets and even some TVs. Many older TVs and maybe newer ones (how would I know, I haven't got one) have a degaussing coil that runs around the picture tube. When you turn these TVs on there is a strong magnetic field set up around the tube for a brief moment to purify it. I used to repair TVs in an earlier life or was that a previous life. Some times it's hard to remember.

Another tip...if you are storing tapes store them on their sides. It helps keep them from getting a blunt edge on the bottom where the control track resides. I don't know how much it really helps but "it can't hurt".

Terry

Terry Thompson October 5th, 2004 11:27 PM

great photographs

Jeff,

I took a look at you photos. Great pics! I liked the way you used a polarizer filter (or post touch up) on "Osprey & Blue Jay". The blue is a striking background.

I also liked "Yellow-crowned Night-Heron". The selective focus is classic.

I used to do a lot of photography earlier on but switched to video when all my still camera equipment was stolen. Since I had to start over equipment wise I bought a B&W portable reel-to-reel video setup. It wasn't much but it was a start.

I just wanted to let you know I liked your coloring and composition.

Terry

Andre De Clercq October 6th, 2004 02:43 AM

Terry,
All (old and new) CRT based color TV's have degaussing coils around the picture tube. Although these coils generate a strong alternating demagnetisation field, especially in the tube's bezel area, they do not harm digital videotapes.