Duplication woes - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old August 26th, 2002, 08:20 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Well, the sales rep was very polite but he was giving me a head-ache so I asked to speak with the tech and finally things started to make sense. At least I felt like I was getting somewhere. And where I got is this...
The tech guaranteed me who would not be able to get a clean dub but he finally agreed to try, for free. But, you know, I gotta take the guy's word and just assume that I would be unhappy with the final product no matter what.
So Doug I am following your lead. I asked the tech if he would kindly and freely deguaze the tapes and just hand them over to me and I would make the dupes one at a time myself.
Just run the firewire from the G4 to the DV1000 and the RCA to the VCR and hey presto!
I figure that will give me the best results.

Thanks for all the input!
Chet.
Chet Hardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 08:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Chet:

Hope you have success. We usually create a master in DV, then use it to dub to multiple VCRs that are linked through a Sony BKNW output interface board and a Leightronics distribution amp. We can dub simultaneously to multiple VHS machines, dual ProBetas or an old-fashioned 3/4 inch U-Matic (we still have two clients who use the old 3/4 inch tapes). We played around with the interface board settings and video amps to get the best signal.

Doug
Old August 27th, 2002, 07:03 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I faced this kind of problem as well when I transferred the dv from the computer to a dv tape using the camcorder.

I thought that my computer wasnt fast enuff and thats the reason which causes the drop outs.
My XL1s is quite new and I dun think that I have used it for recordings for more than 10 hours.

Do i still need to clean the head? what's the reason for the drop outs?
Michael Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2002, 08:01 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Michael:

Others here can speak with more authority on what could cause the dropouts. Our experience has been that we get better results using a studio level VTR rather than recording back to the camera. We use a Sony DHR-1000, which records in both standard DV and mini-DV. We create the master on the Sony and then dub to VHS or Pro-Beta, depending on client preference (as I said before, we have clients who still use U-Matic).

The DHR-1000 is a great unit and a bit pricey (just under $4,000, even with a pro discount), but we seldom see any dropouts with our setup.

As I said, others here have more experience with the ins and outs of DV, but my limited experience indicates any number of varibles that could cause drop outs -- Computer speed, hard disk speed, brand of tape, dirty heads, even RF interference.

Because we made the decision some time ago to do our own dubbing, we invested in the equipment we could find within our budget. I think it is worth it in the long run.

Doug

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line