Recorded over my tape need Help Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old November 21st, 2004, 03:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recorded over my tape need Help Please

I'm a newbee so I don't know if this is possible but I just recorded over a 20 seconds portion of a tape. Is there any way to get the recorded over portion of the tape back? I'm using a xl1s w/ panasonic tapes. Even if I could get the negitive image I would be happy. Anything would be good. Please Help. Thanks
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I doubt it. You could try asking an engineer at Panasonic but I'm afraid you get the same answer.
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 04:24 PM   #3
Major Player

There is no "negative image" on digital tape. Just 1's and 0's. Your footage is gone...Sorry, Joe.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Major Player

I know you can get data recovery experts to retrieve data from computer HDDs. Doubt they could do it on miniDV though. Talk to some 'data recovery' people about it. It would be a very pricey 20 seconds of footage if someone did do it.

I'd chalk it up to experience and vow to never do it again (that's what I did...)
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2004, 06:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

With tape, every time you record, you digitally re-adjust the oxide on the tape. I hope you can re-shoot what you lost.
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 07:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the replies unfortanatly what was recorded over was a wildlife event and only can happen once. Live and learn I guess. Still if anyone finds something out please let me know but it sounds like it can't be done. Thanks again.

Joe
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:46 PM   #7
Major Player

A suggestion for the future is to always record "extra" footage at the beginning and ending of every scene you shoot.

Force yourself to keep running your camera for at least five extra seconds. I presume you reviewed the footage and forget to recue the tape?

I would also suggest that before you keep recording on the tape you actually watch it from the very beginning to make sure you actually did record over the event in question.

What exactly was the shot of?
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:20 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Its footage of a deer hunt. Normaly I never play my tapes back until I edit them but the guy that was hunting didn't know if he missed the deer or not. So we watched the shot on the video to see if he missed the deer and the rest is history. Filming a hunt can be tough because you have to get everything right the first time. I've learned my lesson though I will never ever make that same mistake again......Hopefuly. Thanks guys.

Jesse I like your quote. Aqua Teen Rocks!
Joe Thatcher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line