DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/36821-gigantic-mini-dv-deck-camcorder-deck-thread.html)

DaleReeck April 21st, 2002 10:26 AM

I think I'm going to try out the JVC DV120 model. It's pretty cheap at $499 but has some nice specs, 520 lines, 680k pixel CCD, nice looking output, good reviews etc.

Hixsters May 31st, 2002 07:12 AM

dv deck

I read in the posts that you can use a mini-dv camera as a cheap deck if you don't want use a camera like the XL-1 durring the editing process. The wear and tear can be avoided by use of a cheaper dv- camera. I see some great buys on e-bay.Does the use of the i-link degrade the signal? Will the timecode show up on the tape using these cheaper cameras?Is there any considerations I should be aware of concerning the quality of the transfer between the camera and my computer? I assume D.V. is all the same concerning transfer to computer

Edward Troxel May 31st, 2002 11:02 AM

Any MiniDV camera will transfer the same signal over the firewire port as any expensive camera or deck. However, if you actually purchased a deck you may find it more useful than you think. The main reason is the shuttling/RR/FF speed. Our deck is MUCH faster rewinding, fast forwarding, and shuttling back and forth on the tape than any deck I have used. This makes a true deck a pleasure to use.

Justin Chin May 31st, 2002 12:06 PM

Edward:
What deck do you have?

Ken Tanaka May 31st, 2002 03:02 PM

Yes, you can use an inexpensive camera as a "deck". As Edward noted, the iLink/IEEE1394/Firewire signal your computer will receive and send will be absolutely identical to the one it would get from an expensive deck.

But, also as noted by Edward, the tape transport mechanism for a deck is designed specifically for the type of start/stop/variable motion rate that capture and edit processes often demand. They move the tape much quicker, and often more precisely, than a camera.

Before you buy a cheap cam as your deck consider that if you plan to use the cam-deck frequently (say 6-12 hrs/wk) for your captures assume that it will probably break-down in a year or two. After all, the reason that the camera was inexpensive to begin with is partly due to the quality of the camera's tape transport. So, over, say, a 5 yr. period you should realistically double the price of the cam-deck to decide the true cost of this option.

Conversely, you can buy a pretty good miniDV deck for about $900 which will last at least 5yrs and outperform any cam-deck. Personally, I use a Panasonic AG-DV1000 and have liked it very much. If I had to make the purchase again I might have selected a higher-end Sony to get DVCAM compatibility.

Ford Minton June 1st, 2002 04:23 PM

Where did you find a DV deck for $900?

Ford Minton
DV gear whore

Ken Tanaka June 1st, 2002 04:36 PM

That's about the price of the Panasonic deck I noted. Check at B&H and other places.

Hixsters June 2nd, 2002 02:00 PM

dv deck

Yes, A dv deck is in the near future. For now a mini camcorder will have to do. Thanks for the reply.

Hixsters June 3rd, 2002 12:30 AM

dv deck

Just to make sure. Once I have edited my material in the computer I can then output via the I link(1394) to any inexpensive camcorder?

Edward Troxel June 3rd, 2002 12:36 PM

Justin,

I use a Panasonic AG-DV2000 - the big brother to the one Ken mentioned (DV1000). It has a few additional features including the ability to use the large size DV tapes. Another reason for having the DV2000 is because I purchased it before the DV1000 was released. I have been VERY pleased with this deck.

Michael Chen June 15th, 2002 10:29 AM

Hi,
Just wondering, anyone know what is the lifespan of the xl1s deck?
And if it wears off, how much does it take to repair it?

Bradley Miller June 16th, 2002 12:52 AM

EdwardTr,

What's the rough price on the Panasonic AG-DV2000?

Chris Hurd June 16th, 2002 10:29 AM

The Panasonic AG-DV2000 deck should be running right around $2000, although I have seen it for $1900 on occasion. $2200 would not be too much to pay. These decks can be hard to find sometime. Call Pro-Tape in Austin, Houston or San Antonio; they're a dealer for these decks. www.pro-tape.com

Edward Troxel June 17th, 2002 02:31 PM

Brad,

I agree with Chris. The AG-DV2000 runs about $2000.

jjprescott June 17th, 2002 04:11 PM

Using the JVC SR-VS20 Deck

Hello, I am new to this forum and thrilled it is here.
I am using the JVC VS-20 Deck via Firewire to a Sony RX380 digital studio running Premiere 6.2 software. When I first connected the deck, using the firewire that came with the computer (5 ft 3in) I received an error message saying the computer was looking for a driver. JVC said they do not have a driver for the deck. I needed a longer firewire cable to "clean up" my desk, so I bought a 10 ft. cable and guess what? The problem went away. However, when I try to "lay back" to tape using a specific timecode, it will not work. The computer seems to try to run the deck, but it locks up. The only way I can "lay back" to tape is to put the tape in record/pause, play the timeline, and record. So, if I would like to replace a segment of the program on tape, I can't. Anyone have this problem?