DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The Long Black Line (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/)
-   -   The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/long-black-line/36821-gigantic-mini-dv-deck-camcorder-deck-thread.html)

Alan Van Vliet November 25th, 2001 06:43 AM

The Gigantic Mini DV Deck / Camcorder as Deck Thread

Any suggestions for Mini DV Decks?

I just got the JVC HR-DVS2U. Not bad, but I need slow motion and frame by frame access to view and edit tennis instructional tapes.

I am looking at the Sony DSR -11 but it is not noted in Premiere in the DV Control windows.

I need high quality slow motion with forward and backward frame control, DV control, batch capture, and index search capabilities. ($ 2500 range)

Any experience on the Sony model?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Don Palomaki November 25th, 2001 08:12 AM

I've been using a Sony DHR-1000 and it appears to have the features you are asking for. No problems using it with my capture card. It is a consumer product, and does take the 2 and 3 hour DVC tapes as well as MiniDV tapes.

Alan Van Vliet November 25th, 2001 09:16 AM

Thanks for the input.

Al Van Vliet

Alan Van Vliet November 26th, 2001 05:20 PM

I've looked at the specs on the Sony DHR-1000 and could not tell if it offers Device Control (specifically for use on batch captures in Adobe Premiere 6.0).

Any further information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Al

Alan Van Vliet November 29th, 2001 12:26 PM

Sorry for the incorrect posting.

Al Van Vliet

Steve Kim January 15th, 2002 04:16 PM

Looking for a good mini-DV deck

I am looking for a good mini-DV deck for copying the master tape and edit the copied tape.

Do you have any recommendation?

Ken Tanaka January 15th, 2002 05:54 PM

Using the Search function here will probably turn up quite a bit of info, since this is a relatively frequent topic here.

I've used a Panasonic AGDV1000 for over a year and love it. It's miniDV-only and retails for around $1000.

Dominic I March 5th, 2002 02:31 AM

XL1 and DV deck compatability

Just got an XL1 and noticed a slight incombatability with plackback on my dv deck. The deck i've got is a Panasonic AG-DV2700 which is the pro version of the NDV10000 (but as i'm from the UK i'm not sure if it's called the same thing in the USA), anyway when i play the tapes back i get slight blocking on the screen. This only happens when i play back tapes from the XL1 and when the tapes are played back in the XL1 they are fine.
Three questions
1. Are there any known issues with plackback on other manufactores decks.
2. Is it possible to get the camera re-set so that the tapes will play ok in my deck, if so , what do i tell them to set it to as the tapes from the deck play fine on the camera (I'm using PAL if that makes any differance.
3. Has anyone had a similar problem or could the camera need resetting (not a problem as it's got a warrenty that lasts for about four years.

Great forum
Thanks
Dominic

Chris Hurd March 5th, 2002 09:19 AM

How far are you from Canon UK's physical location? If you can transport the camera and deck directly to them, they should be able to tweak the camera so that the playback and recording speed matches the deck precisely.

Vic Owen March 6th, 2002 12:08 AM

XL-1 tapes should normally play without problems on Panasonic decks. For my mastering deck, I'm using an AG-DV2000 (as I think Ken does). Any errors during playback show up on the XL-1, as well. I'm presuming you're recording at SP speed....?

Ken Tanaka March 6th, 2002 12:30 AM

I've been using the Panasonic AG-DV1000 (NTSC) for 20 months with no problems whatsoever using the deck with Final Cut Pro or with XL1, XL1s, GL1 or ZR30(!) footage (all in SP). I should note, however, that some folks have reported some difficulties over in the 2-pop.com forums when using the deck with LP footage.

Dominic I March 6th, 2002 01:54 AM

Thanks everyone for your help, today i should be geting a tape shot on my friends XL1 which i think will play ok. This would show that my camera needs re-setting.
I contacted Canon uk and they said the if the camera is off in it's settings then they can re-set it, but they are not allowed to make any changes outside the XL1 spec.

Also, Vic you say that any errors would show up on the camera. Acording to Canon it is possible to have a record head that is out of spec wilest the play head is on spec and will play the camera tapes and other tapes (as is mine)

Dominic

Dominic I March 8th, 2002 11:54 AM

Got the tape from my friend, it played better than mine but the blocking was still there, it seemed to get worse the longer i played the tape. As it's still under warrenty i'm going to take it back to Canon any get them to check if anyhting needs checking.
Does anyone have any ideas??????

Dominic

Vic Owen March 8th, 2002 05:03 PM

Check my math here.....I think you can play tapes you shoot OK on your XL-1, but they don't play well on the VCR(?)

You got a tape from a friend, also shot on an XL-1 -- it also doesn't play properly on the same VCR(?)

If so, sounds like your VCR deck needs work. If the tape from the other XL-1 plays on the VCR OK, but shows blocking on your XL-1, then it's off to Canon.

Any of this make sense?

Dominic I March 10th, 2002 12:59 PM

Yes your' right, but the other problem is i have about 100 DVcam tapes thaqt were recorded on DSR130, 200, 300 and 500 and all of those play perfectly so if the deck is adjusted out of it's usual settings it may not play the older tapes.

As my XL1 is still under warranty i've decided to send it back to canon anyway to get it checked over if it comes back with the all clear then i'll send the deck to Panasonic, but i'll have to pay for them to check it, as it's over a year old.

Dominic