Different brand of tapes. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old January 28th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Different brand of tapes.

I have read about this and am still not sure I understand this correctly. I use sony in my GL-2 and my friend uses panasonic in his VX2000. I edit a couple of tapes I make every few months using the two camcorders and firewire. If I put the sony mini dv tape that was in his camcorder back in my GL-2 will that ruin the heads since the tapes are made with different material or lube?

I appreciate your help,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Major Player

If you read enough you'll finally come to the realization that nobody knows for sure ;)

Hell, half the threads in this forum are about it, and none have a definitive answer.

For every tape swapping, head gunking sotry you hear, oyu'll have another person (like me) who swaps all the time without incident. I've never had to clean my heads in 3 years!

Bottom line is, no tape is going to ruin your heads. Get them a little dirty?...eh, it's possibility. But you've been doing it so far without a problem, right?

If they do get dirty (you see artifacting/blockiness/stutters), run a head-cleaning tape for 5 seconds, and go back to your old tape brand.
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line