DVCAM playback on DV machine - the risks? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM   #1
New Boot

DVCAM playback on DV machine - the risks?

Hi all :) I hope this is the right forum for this...

I was going through some unlabelled DV tapes I found, and came across some old dubs from a show I used to work on. Naturally i was pleased - but I remembered I'd dubbed them on a DVCAM recorder. My Panasonic NV-DA1 camcorder was playing them back without a hitch, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any ramifications of playing back DVCAM tapes in a non DVCAM deck.

As I say, it seems to work, but the transport is being run faster than it is designed for, right? If I'm going to damage my camcorder, I'd rather just go get it re-dubbed.

Thoughts?
Nicholas Storr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Major Player

The few times that I accidentally played back a DVCAM tape on a Mini DV player it looked like slow speed and had no audio, which is what I would expect.

Is it possible that you dubbed it as DV? I think it is highly unlikely that a non DVCAM deck has the potential to know it was a DVCAM tape and speed up to play it...
Old February 5th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Wrangler

Just about any Sony camcorder will play back DVCAM tapes, even the cheap ones. I'm surprised that a Panasonic machine will however...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #4
New Boot

I was equally surprised! The slow speed/no audio thing is what I would have expected too, to be honest.

Yes, I'm 100% sure they were DVCAM dubs.
Nicholas Storr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, if it plays it then it is by design and it isn't doing something outside of spec for the camera. I'm guessing you're safe.
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Archivist for SMECC

DVCAM PLAYBACK on Panasonic GS-35 Indeed! It Works!

I discovered this myself yesterday and thought my Sony DVCAM deck was hosed! ( it does NOT record in DV) Well yes the litle panny plays DVCAM tapes at normal speed with sound...... that means for $250 I paid for this camera I have another play back device in a pinch for DVCAM.... we are overjoyed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Storr
Hi all :) I hope this is the right forum for this...

I was going through some unlabelled DV tapes I found, and came across some old dubs from a show I used to work on. Naturally i was pleased - but I remembered I'd dubbed them on a DVCAM recorder. My Panasonic NV-DA1 camcorder was playing them back without a hitch, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of any ramifications of playing back DVCAM tapes in a non DVCAM deck.

As I say, it seems to work, but the transport is being run faster than it is designed for, right? If I'm going to damage my camcorder, I'd rather just go get it re-dubbed.

Thoughts?

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Some DV devices will be able to playback DVCAM (I believe my panasonic GS70 does it).

Sony's DSR-1700 also plays back panasonic's DVCPRO format.

2- The VTR will take some time to get to the right tape speed, getting dropouts in that process.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It would be interesting to see if the fact that the DVcam head has a wider gap might cause a situation where overwriting with DV might not get the old signal completely replaced. Most people don't reuse tapes, so not sure if anyone has any extensive experience with this

Sharyn
Sharyn Ferrick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line