Digital Master tapes used in HVR-Z1 ( HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU USE THIS TAPE) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 2nd, 2005, 09:32 PM   #1
New Boot

Digital Master tapes used in HVR-Z1 ( HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU USE THIS TAPE)

Can anyone tell me how many times they have used the same Digital Master tape in a Sony Z1 without any quality issues.?
Murry Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:28 PM   #2
Major Player

once
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:10 AM   #3
Trustee

Reuse tape? Why?
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I just got my Z1 yesterday but DSE has said that he has reused the digital master tapes several times and never had a dropout.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Trustee

The truth is, I have never reused one of the HDV tapes, but I am going to do so today. I have a tape that has unusable footage for the first 23 minutes, so I am going to tape over it today at the Dallas Zoo. I figure it should be OK, and if I am wrong, I will just take the kids back to the zoo another time.

But really, tape is a lot sturdier than people might think. And if you are not in the habit of shuttling back and forth all of the time, it will last a lot longer.

How many times can the little particles be expected to change polarity? Thousands. The real issue is as far as I can tell is the stretching of the tape through the mechanism. That's a problem - or will be eventually.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I am really working with the z1 for over a month now, used the "new" tape and the normal Premium. I had no dropout ever. Even with DV all the years.

And as I am talking about it: Also no MPEG artifacts and so on ... Am I one of the lucky users or are there many, that are talking about artifacts, problems with fast pans, unability of handheld shooting and so on, that never tried it themselves ?

BUT. To answer the original question:
If you have to, you can use the tape many times. I don't think it's a problem the first 10 times.

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM   #7
New Boot

I appreciate the imput. All im trying to achieve with my digital master tapes is to drive the cost down by using each tape atleast three times and still maintain the same quality on the second and third time around (the same quality as the first time of use). Since the tapes are costing me $21.00 + freight from b&h. Three times of use would cost me about what im used to spending on a single panasonic tape with my agdvx100 .
Murry Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

3 times use?
Not worried about archiving the footage?
I posed a question regarding One-Pass tape, it should hold up, but I sure wouldn't make a practice out of it.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:42 PM   #9
New Boot

Hi Sean, I always archive. I just use sony excellence tape for archiving on a one time basis. Digital Master for shooting.
So far I have been using my Digital Master tapes three times with no dropouts or problems.
Murry Dalton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line