Tape brand compatability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old April 21st, 2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Tape brand compatability

Tried searching using the above words - struck out, but I can't believe this hasn't been asked before...

I subscribe to the "stick with one brand" practice (I uses Fuji). But occasionally, you get stuck without enough tape for a particular shoot and need to make a quick run to the closest drugstore or big box which may not carry your particular brand of tape. Since there are only a few major manufacturers (not brands or grades) of MiniDv tape, which tapes might be more compatable in terms of their lubricant formula etc?
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2005, 09:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Hello,

I know this has been discussed at nausea, but I am still perplexed and maybe it needs another go. After all, new information becomes available and we all have new experiences every day.

I like to run Maxell tapes (purchased at SAM's for less than $2.00 each... The SAME tape that sells for $3.95 - $4.95 on the net) for testing, auditions, lighting tests, etc. When I go on a shoot, I use professional tape. My problem is that around here, I can only buy Sony tape locally, so if I run out (shame on me) I have to use Sony.

What I gather is that this is not good, and I believe it because I think it has given me countless problems :-(

Now BJs has Fuji tapes, and someone here said that they were made by Sony.... so is that true, and if so is it not true that I could go with the Fuji for my tests and then the Sony for my shoots??

Or do I just buy cases of Panasonic Pro tapes??

So confusing :-(
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I remember this discussion last year. Apparantly, the simplest solution is to get a tape cleaner. If you need to change your stock type, then give the heads a good clean. This will remove any lubricant that might mix with the new type of lubricant that could lead to blocked tape head etc.
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:18 AM   #4
Major Player

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the reply!

That certainly sounds reasonable.... but sometimes good logic isn't always the technological answer unfortunately.

I am interested because I have had problems with my Canon XL1 and XL2 with drop outs, and I wasn't, nor am I, convinced it was a tape issue... but the cameras check out :-(

So I am perplexed with this dilemma. To make it worst, Fuji is suppose to be made by Sony, but no reference to it in any of the fine print... so I haven't verified that. And none of the tapes that I have seen have any details about the tape, like wet or dry lube, on the packaging.

Does anyone have an opinion on the BJs (Fuji) verses Sam's (Maxell) issue that I posted above?? i.e. if I use the Maxell for tests, start to use Panasonic Pro tapes on paid shoots, if I go with Fuji, use Sony pro tapes on paid gigs??

Thanks for all of the feedback !!
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:53 AM   #5
Major Player

I don't have the sony /fuji answer and not trying to skirt that question but really.... I would just avoid all that and pick a tape manufacturer and stick to it.Your cameras are a big investment , spend some money on tape, order way more than you need of the pro tape and never run out.
I can't operate my cameras without a battery .I can't operate without light and I can't operate them without the specific tape.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Hello Jack,

Valid points to be sure, and I agree.

I am the kind of person that is interested in the "why" as well. I believe that the logic, if understood adequately, can be the foundation of the answers of future questions. That is especially handy when no one else is around to ask. Good logic can often provide those answers, so I try to get as much depth as possible on issues that concern me.

Of course having several drop-out problems recently has made me quite sensitive as well. I shoot a lot of coverage now, and I will be using 2 cameras on this next shoot, just to cover important shots that might have drop-out when least expected.

To your original point... I will probably need 40 tapes for this gig, I'll be bringing 100!

Thanks!!
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Excellent! 2 cam coverage and loads of tape.
I also see your point about knowledge and do agree.As you said this has been discussed many times.Based on others experience and my own I choose to not reinvent the wheel.The info regarding tape lubricant, repetitive head cleaning,etc has been covered very well ,by input from many posters.So I think a search will cover the "why"
There are so many variables in a video production, I just cut out as many as I can.Thanks for the reply
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #8
Major Player

Thank You Jack !!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line