mini DVCAM tape in an XL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old June 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

mini DVCAM tape in an XL2?

Does anyone have any info on if using miniDVCAM tape in the XL2 is better than using regular miniDV tape?

thanks a bunch!
Tracy Graziano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Wrangler

As I understand, the DVCAM tapes are basically the same but have tighter quality control and better shells. They should work fine, but of course will cost more.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm working a lot with PDVM-40N tapes on XM2, and never experienced a dropout even after few reusages.
Old June 15th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, I know about the cost - though think the benefits may be worth it (maybe?)

One thing I heard was that the mini DVCAM tape was more "stable" -- whatever that means -- less dropout like Darko said. Just wondering if there are any "official" tests out there. Hmm.
Old June 15th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #5
Contributor

I've used hundreds of hours of DVCAM tapes and never had a dropout. Most have been with a DSR500WS, and some with a DSR250 and even a TRV900. The tape is the cheapest thing on a shoot, so it makes sense to use the best you can get. However, if you switch brands, be sure to use your head cleaning tape first, and use it exactly according to the instructions.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Great. How about image quality difference? Is there a difference between consumer miniDV and miniDVCAM?
Thanks again!
Tracy
Old June 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM   #7
Contributor

No. Whatever tape you use, the image will be the same. The difference is in fewer dropouts, resistance to stretch, probably increased longevity. And, they come in cool boxes.
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
The tape is the cheapest thing on a shoot, so it makes sense to use the best you can get.
Following this logic, you should probably use Sony's new Digital Master tapes:

http://digitalmastertape.com/index.asp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=364848&is=REG
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Contributor

And I would if I could get anybody from Sony to tell me they're better than DVCAM tapes. Our supplier thinks they're DVCAM tape repackaged, and if you read the promotional material, they never say anything about DVCAM, only about how much better they are than ordinary DV tapes. Using the best tape available means using the best tape, but it doesn't mean paying for marketing hype. I could be wrong--if they're shown to be better, I'd go for them. Even at their increased cost, DV/DVCAM/DVCPRO tape is still cheap. It wasn't all that long ago I was paying 30 bucks for a 30 minute Betacam SP tape. Now I pay a little more than that for a 3 hour DVCAM tape.
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Our supplier thinks they're DVCAM tape repackaged.
They aren't. All he needs to do is lift the dust lid and look, preferably under a strong light, like sunlight.
Doug Boze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line