How many times can one safely......... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 31st, 2009, 03:49 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Look, it's really not that big a deal -- different people work different ways.

But you're completely wrong. Neither factor is unknown. The tapes are Sony Premiums which happen to be about as reliable as it gets -- they just happen to be the cheapest.

And the act of dragging tape over heads by definition degrades it. That's not unknown either. Just because it worked last time does not mean it will this time --- that's like saying you didn't get caught drunk driving last time so you won't this time.

But really, do what you're comfortable with. I just play the odds.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM   #17
Trustee

We can only rely on two things when we make decisions: our past experiences and our faith (or lack thereof) in a company to deliver what they promise. Sony promises to deliver a tape that works the first time, every time. However, my past experience tells me that this is not true (a Sony HD tape was filled with dropouts, and it was not my camera's fault, because every tape since then has been just fine.) However, my personal experience is that no tape, once proven reliable, has failed on a second or third use.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
It's like the "do we only use one brand" controversy. All kinds of anecdotal posts all over, no real evidence.
I disagree VEHEMENTLY. My old Sony PD150 heads would clog INSTANTLY after ANY non-Sony branded tape went into the camera ERGO I stopped accepting any tape that wasn't Sony branded.

Just because one has not encountered this phenomenon does not mean that it does not exist.
Old November 4th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #19
Trustee

Hey Shaun,

Although I believe you, your story doesn't equate to controlled tests, or recommendations from manufacturers. That being said, I've heard enough reports such as yours to suspect that there's something to it, although I've mixed tapes in several cameras for years with no issues. For every post such as yours claiming problems, I've read others such as mine claiming none.

Quote:
Just because one has not encountered this phenomenon does not mean that it does not exist.
Well, just because you experienced a problem doesn't mean it's widespread, or applicable to everyone.

As well, the entire issue was attributed to the type of lubricants that manufacturers used on their tapes (wet vs. dry), and I've read many posts claiming that the difference no longer exists, and hence we shouldn't worry about changing tape brands anymore.

It seems you have to go with your gut. I find it unfortunate that tape manufacturers are unwilling to comment on the issue, other than the generic "we recommend our brand." Well, of course you do, you want to sell them...

Always love your posts, and hope you don't mind the mild disagreement.
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Thanks Vito.

And you're right, just because I experienced a number of problems doesn't mean it's widespread BUT on a repository of knowledge like DVI, I'd like to acknowledge that the issue is reproducible by at least some THEREFORE it is not solely urban legend or hearsay.

My position is: if you DO mix tapes, you should be aware of the risks, much the same as using recycled tapes or even as another regular poster advocates "untested" first pass tapes.

So the short story is don't record anything important to tape, new or used, or on a DTE drive ever. <tongue planted firmly in cheek>
Old November 4th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #21
Trustee

Hehehe...

Sounds like we're on the same page. Like you, I err on the side of caution because of reports I've read, anecdotal or not.
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I disagree VEHEMENTLY. My old Sony PD150 heads would clog INSTANTLY after ANY non-Sony branded tape went into the camera ERGO I stopped accepting any tape that wasn't Sony branded.

I have been using it's twin (VX2000) for years with Panasonic PQ tapes and have never experienced that problem. But I don't switch to anything else ever. It's not that the Sony tapes wouldn't work well if I had been using them all along just like you have, but the key as stated is not switching brands.

Now when I clean the tape heads, I don't use the Sony tape head cleaning cassette even though it is a Sony camera. I use a Panasonic tape head cleaning cassette because the tape is Panasonic. You should use the Sony cleaning cassette because you are using Sony tape.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I reuse tapes A LOT!! .... having said that and with a lot of experience on the topic I can say that "approximately" the tapes start presenting SIGNIFICANT errors around the 5th use. This is not a rule Im just taking an approximate estimate based on my experience reusing a lot of tapes... you might get lucky and a tape lasts 10 uses, or you might get a tape that gets bad on the second use, again, Im just taking a broad estimate based on what I've seen.

For those who say ...why dont you just buy new tapes... well how much do you pay for tapes 2-3 bucks (maybe even more if you dont buy them online) .... well how much money there is on 10 tapes... around 25-30 dollars? I dont know about you but it seems like a big waste of money to store 10 tapes that I will probably NEVER use again and pay 30 dollars worth of new tapes

Now multiply that for how many tapes you use in a year....100 - 150 maybe or more? imagine how much money you are wasting if you just store those tapes and never re-use them again and keep buying new ones

I dont know about you but if its not going to affect my work... and it really doesnt, I rather re-use those tapes and keep my money in my pocket.

It makes sense to me, but thats just my opinion!

Last edited by Rich Mayer; January 29th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
Rich Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Need a tape recommendation

Hey there,

I have a tape dilema.

I own a Canon XH-A1 and have used Panasonic AYDVM63PQ tapes in it almost exclusively. Literally hundreds of tapes..

I've used a few (maybe a few dozen) Panasonic AYDVM63AMQ on occasion.

I have had great luck with these tapes. Dropouts just don't happen.

B&H says these tapes are discontinued and I'm about to use up the last of my stock.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a similar quality tape?

B&H's website says this would be a similar item: Panasonic AY-DVM63PQUS

Thanks!

Charlie Durand
Charlie Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 07:14 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Chris is right -- it's the cheapest thing in the food chain and reuse is false economy.
It's a little short-sighted to claim this. Yes, one tape "only" costs $5-10. But if you use a lot, as I do, your $1,000 bill can be cut by half or 2/3 if you re-use tapes in non-critical conditions. I don't think anone here would consider $600 to be a "false economy".

As far as drops go, the only ones I had were in NEW tapes, which I threw out. Never in a used tape.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #26
Major Player

I reuse tapes all the time and rarely have I had a drop out. Actually the only drop out I ever had that was critical was on a new tape during the I do part of a wedding. I no longer shoot weddings and most of my critical stuff is shot in a studio. If I am shooting something that I am afraid will only happen in one take I shoot with two cameras and one of those cameras is also shooting to a laptop. It use to be that everyone said you should stripe a tape before use well a striped tape is a used tape. What happened to that school of thought.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Inner Circle

The striping (or blacking) is something done when editing using VTRs, so that the machines have something to synchronise to, it isn't something done for camera tapes.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line