Multiple copies of miniDV tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Tourist

Multiple copies of miniDV tape

Is there any miniDV vtr capable of copy 2 or more miniDV tapes simultaneously?
We usually have to copy 6 tapes for distribution and would like a single vtr to make copies.
Ashraff Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

None that I know of. I would suggest an analogue workflow (splitting via distribution amps) and see if anyone notices the difference in the quality of the video.

I guess it depends on what you are making the dubs for as to whether exact digital copies are required.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Tourist

The copies are distributed to external parties.
Ashraff Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Equal Opportunity Offender

You're not really telling us all that much.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I think maybe he's looking for something like a CD/DVD duplicator where there is one reader and several wrters stacked up in a box where you put in a recorded disk and get a bunch of copies at more or less the same time.

Just my guess but that's what it sounds like.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think because MiniDV tape isn't a distribution medium -- certainly there were never any movies dubbed in bulk in this format like VHS -- that it's unlikely such a device exists. I sure haven't seen one.
Old September 18th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It should be easy enough to daisy chain a number of DV cams together running at real time, using a better quality multi port Firewire to Firewire hub.

Even using some pre-loved smaller DV cams, as long as they'll record via the FW input.

Cheers.
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #8
Major Player

firewire is bi-directional so daisy-chaining most likely will be a frustrating and unproductive endeavour as the back and forth and crosstalk will get all the devices wringing their proverbial hands and lamenting "what should I do, what should I do? ...
sounds like gray screen time!
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Heh heh but that's what FW hubs are for. As long as you have a single one way signal without any dropouts, feeding a few machines in record mode will work. I've got an early Belkin model for external hard drives, high speed DV tape copiers would be a pain to produce and have limited sales.

This might not apply here but from my studio days, to run a successful duplication operation you have to establish and really stick to some ground rules.

I'd only use new name brand DV tapes for the copies, spool them end to end first and use AC power for all machines. Checking copies is another drag, you should spot check all copies and run the cleaner tape for a few seconds .. after EVERY pass. Then slide the record tabs to safe and label them in pencil to reuse later.

If you use say 20x30min DV tapes per month try for a bulk price somewhere. If the customers return the copies for reuse, be careful. Play the first ones they send back, if you find they have over recorded their own stuff, don't use those tapes again. If this is a free service for say, a charity, call the offenders and warn them you'll be charging them in future.

Don't put a teenager in charge of the dubbing operation.

IMO for the OPs app something like this F5U526-APL Belkin FireWire 6-Port Hub is the only game in town. HTH.
Cheers.
Old September 19th, 2010, 04:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Problem is you don't have a one-way signal because of the device control query which is always present
In an attempt for backup redundancy at live events I've tried severalhigh quality fw hubs in live from dv camera (firewire) to two dvd standalone recorders with no luck. It's the device control signals which go back and forth from the camera to the recording devices and if there are more than one back and forth senarios as proposed in your daisy chained arrangement, the gear literally becomes confused because more than one set of commands are being shouted louder and louder so as to be heard above all the hubub so one or more will shut down.
Might be easier using some sort of s-video hub
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Read the features of that Belkin I linked to above.
Cheers.
Old January 19th, 2011, 03:52 AM   #12
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Heh heh but that's what FW hubs are for. As long as you have a single one way signal without any dropouts, feeding a few machines in record mode will work. I've got an early Belkin model for external hard drives, high speed DV tape copiers would be a pain to produce and have limited sales.

This might not apply here but from my studio days, to run a successful duplication operation you have to establish and really stick to some ground rules.

I'd only use new name brand DV tapes for the copies, spool them end to end first and use AC power for all machines. Checking copies is another drag, you should spot check all copies and run the cleaner tape for a few seconds .. after EVERY pass. Then slide the record tabs to safe and label them in pencil to reuse later.

If you use say 20x30min DV tapes per month try for a bulk price somewhere. If the customers return the copies for reuse, be careful. Play the first ones they send back, if you find they have over recorded their own stuff, don't use those tapes again. If this is a free service for say, a charity, call the offenders and warn them you'll be charging them in future.

Don't put a teenager in charge of the dubbing operation.

IMO for the OPs app something like this F5U526-APL Belkin FireWire 6-Port Hub is the only game in town. HTH.
Cheers.
I assume you are saying that the Belkin HUB does not pass the two way data that firewire usually has? I am using a Kramer VS4FW hub and it pass ALL of the firewire signals. All that does is confuses the decks I have plugged in. For example: I have a Sony EX1R, and two Sony DVD burners plugged via firewire into the Kramer HUB. When the signal to play is sent to the hub and out to the EX1R the DVD burners ALSO see this play signal and the do not go into record. If I keep playing with the burners hitting stop, record many times some times I can get one of the burners to see the record signal and start recording. But I am NEVER able to get all the recorders to go into record when the EX1R starts playing.

But I assume you are saying you can get 4 recorders or burners to record when one player is playing?

If that is the case I will order a Belkin,

Thanks
Dean
Dean McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 04:44 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Dean,

Yep, that's what I'm saying but to make sure that's what you want, give Belkin a call, and you might find more here Belkin : Support Find Answers

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line