Lost data on dv tape? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Tourist

Lost data on dv tape?

Our company tapes primarily outdoor events, using gl2s that were recently serviced. On reviewing the tapes at the end of the day recently, we discovered that most, if not all of the data is no longer there, even after the videographer saw some of the video during the day when reviewing the tape. There was no blue screen since we black out the tapes for re-use. No video can be seen after rw or ff, just the audio and black video recorded before re-use. It's as if the recording button was never pushed but that is not possible since there is a constant record/pause, record/pause, etc.during the shoot. This happened on 2 different gl2s at 2 different events and three different tapes. We also put the tapes in other dv cameras but still no luck in finding the video. Can video be lost once it's recorded on the tape without recording over it and is it possible to retrieve it? Need help since we can't depend on the camera if it's behaving like this.
Tom Kays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Lost data on dv tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kays View Post
using gl2s that were recently serviced.
By whom, if I may ask?

Quote:
most, if not all of the data is no longer there, even after the videographer saw some of the video during the day
Ah, but did he see just the bit that wasn't lost?

Quote:
There was no blue screen since we black out the tapes for re-use. No video can be seen after rw or ff, just the audio and black video recorded before re-use.
Now, are you implying that there WAS video when FF or REW, or none to be found no matter how you searched?

Quote:
Can video be lost once it's recorded on the tape without recording over it
1. OK, last question first. Most definitily, if using HDV, a lot harder with DV. Slight tape mistracking using HDV can cause total chaos and a BSOD situation, so far nailed to incorrect seating of the tapes in a hurried environment. DV, I've never heard of.

2. However, skip back to the previous question. If the black and audio is still on the tape when played back, no video was or can have been written to the tape, else the black/ audio would be gone.

Fingers a tape write problem, possibly associated with the recent service, cable not connected/ loose, take your pick of options.

3. Back one more question. Using HDV, the BSOD is best reckognised by the fact that video can be seen during FF or REW, but PLAY just produces a blue screen. This is due to the way HDV is handled in the electronics and how it reassembles frames and GOP's.

DV is a different kettle of fish, though I must admit, if you can see video during FF or REW and Black in PLAY, now you've got me.

4. Back to the first question/ comment. If the videographer saw video during the day in PLAY mode and THAT segment is now BLACK, you've had a visit from Lucifer himself, because I can see no way that is possible.

Based on what you have said, I can see no other explanation other than there is a problem with the camera's write system (s), if it is reproducable.

If thorough, prolongued base testing shows up no problems with the cameras concerned, I can't see anything else but operator error of some sort.

If the above testing does show up a problem, whomever did the recent service needs a bit of a talking to.

Best I can do at the moment.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kays View Post
No video can be seen after rw or ff, just the audio and black video recorded before re-use. It's as if the recording button was never pushed but that is not possible since there is a constant record/pause, record/pause, etc.during the shoot.
As you probably know, miniDV tapes have a little switch on the side to disable recording. When the switch is open the tape can not be recorded, when it is closed it can be recorded. It is possible that either the switch on the tape was in the wrong position or the camera misread the position of the switch.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 09:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Tom that is really unusual.

If it happened on just one camera, it will probably be camera fault, but on two!

The common denominator here seems to be the servicing of both cameras prior to shooting.

Did you "black" the tapes in these cameras and if so, was it done before or after the servicing?

If both cameras have recorded sound, then it seems that whoever has serviced them has made the same mistake on both cameras in relation to recording pictures. Record heads out of alignment?

Did you shoot in HDV or DV (not familiar with your cameras).

If you recorded in HDV, they won't play back in DV, which you have mentioned.

Have you tried recording something again, using both cameras?

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Trustee

Are you using the camera as the capture deck when you upload it to a computer?

I had a similar problem, but when I used the camera as a deck I recovered all the video.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line