BetacamSP Edited Master Tape Transferred directly to 720P HD 16x9, what Box do I buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Major Player

BetacamSP Edited Master Tape Transferred directly to 720P HD 16x9, what Box do I buy?

I want to maintain the exact image I have my audio and color corrected betacam sp video master. I would like to go out analog component (R-Y, B-Y, Y) and go through a box that converts the betacam sp videotape to 720P HD, 16 x 9, then from that same box, be able to output into a Mac Mini and upload to my computer as a 720P HD 16 x 9 file.

Is this possible? What box do I need? Are there choices?

Thanks in advance.
Alessandro Machi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: BetacamSP Edited Master Tape Transferred directly to 720P HD 16x9, what Box do I

I left the word "on" out of my prior post, I guess there is no edit function? It's been a while since my last post.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: BetacamSP Edited Master Tape Transferred directly to 720P HD 16x9, what Box do I

Any "box" that can capture in ProRes or uncompressed will do. AJA, Matrox, Blackmagic all have various devices that you should be able to rent locally but if it's just one or two tapes, it might make more sense to bring the master to a production house and have them transfer it to a file for you. This will save you a lot of headaches especially if you are working with a MacMini.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, it seems like what I want, which I thought would be simple, is not so simple.

My goal is to uprez the betacam sp signal to HD, but not uncompressed. Then send the compressed HD signal into my mac mini.

I could probably fill up a mac mini's hard drive with one long betacam sp master tape if I am going in uncompressed. It seems to me that the thunderbolt should have input compression settings, no?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No. Thuderbolt is a data port and not able to convert things, that's up to your software and computer.

Last edited by William Hohauser; October 22nd, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Major Player

I am trying to avoid software conversions and uncompressed signals since the edit masters are fine exactly as they are and I won't have ample hard drive space. Apparently the Black Magic Teranex 2d is exactly what I need, although it costs 1,895.00, but probably worth it if one can afford it.

The idea is, the betacam sp signal is uprezzed to Hd and also then compressed, probably in Apple Hi-Res, which compresses the image by 8-1 with excellent results, then that would be imported into the computer to save hard drive space.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Just take the tape to a pro video house and ask for a ProResHQ file of it. You will have what you need and can focus on other things.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM   #8
Major Player

Yes, but I could have situations where this comes up regularly and since these are archived tapes, the costs will add up quickly versus the initial return they might generate.

Rental would be an option, maybe.

Any box cheaper than that one. Although the Teranex 2d does seem to do a lot for the money.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The Intensity Shuttle with Thumderbolt might be just what you need and it's a very reasonable price. Hardware up-conversion is nice but the software we have now can do as good a job.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Machi View Post
Although the Teranex 2d does seem to do a lot for the money.
That is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Until BlackMagic Design bought Teranex, the boxes were upwards of $80,000. WITHOUT Thunderbolt connectivity...

It may be overkill for what you need but the things are MONSTERS at that price...

Trying to find a business model to buy two of them...
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Back to your original post:

EXACT image from BetaSP?

Realize you VERY likely have a 4:3 BetaSP master. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the colour and organic softness of well shot SP...)

So you need to make a decision around whether to crop or pillerbox when going to HD.

As well, the colour space changes from SD to HD.

AND you are taking an interlaced image and converting to Progressive scan.

You WON'T get an EXACT image.

What you are looking for is a high quality up-res.

Options are available. The Teranex is certainly where I would spend my money if I were buying a solution.

William is right in suggesting taking your masters to a post house set up to do this sort of thing. ESPECIALLY if broadcast compliance is important...
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Major Player

I remember seeing Betacam Sp images from around 1993 that looked absolutely spectacular. Organic softness is an interesting way to describe it. I would suggest the one reason HD looks "sharper" is simply because the monitors are brighter than CRT monitors.

I love CRT monitors, there's something to be said for the use of space to send those beams through. Just like I love film, it's actually got layers to it.

But I digress. Both are good transfer suggestions up above. I am going to start with my Black Magic Video Recorder H.264, and then work my way up to the hard box H.264 that comes with media express software, all for under 500.00, or wait until I have the funds to get the Teranex 2d.

My one goal of not using up a lot of hard drive space can primarily be achieved by compressing the image as it is going into the computer, so for now, the Video Recorder H.264 should suffice, I think.
Old October 24th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

H264 is the opposite from what you have been describing up to now. It's fine for viewing on a computer and sending files over the Internet but for quality? Not the best at all. To go from the Teranex to h.264 is a very big jump.
Old October 24th, 2012, 03:59 AM   #14
Major Player

I don't have a thunderbolt version mac mini, so what options do I actually have at this point. Doesn't the Teranex 2d need a thunderbolt connection?
Alessandro Machi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line