Airport X-Ray Machines and Videotape - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old March 30th, 2003, 02:45 PM   #31
Trustee

"Now I'm hearing both sides about video tape. In the absence of a clear consensus, I would be inclined to ask for physical inspection -- not getting the tapes near the equipment avoids the problem. But is that possible? "

Both sides? One person had what he thought were problems related to X Ray, and that was one trip. A number of us have stated that we travel constantly with no ill effect.

I would certainly carry the tapes with you. If inspection actually does occur on checked baggage, there is a lot more chance of damage using magnetic imaging.

When carrying the tape with you , you may be denied hand inspection and would certainly be required to unwrap the packaging if it were hand inspected. The Xray will not affect the tape anyway. I had one tape in my small TRV20 that went through 4 security checks in one trip alone. That tape most likely got Xrayed a dozen times.

You used to be able to courier film ahead but with the new security God knows what they subject Fed Ex or other air courier shipments to.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 11:24 PM   #32
Regular Crew

be my guest

I can't speak for all the machines, but I know that I had tapes damaged, so if you feel confident that they don't effect tapes, then be my guest.

I was just back in Mexico last week and did a test with a tape that I checked first, and when it went through the scanner at Pearson, it had the same dropouts after. They are not bad, and happen ever few minutes, but it's enough for concern, and on my original trip wrecked a bunch of great shots.

I have read up on the X-rays scanners, and know that they are electromagnetic light that should not harm the tapes. But maybe the machine itself generates some magnetic fields. Who knows.

As far as being nice goes, that always helps, I just told them that the tapes can not go through the machine, and they were great. They checked the boxes, and let me go through. They checked my camera for explosives which made me happy. I flew 5 days after sept 11th to Africa, and nobody even looked at my camera or equipment. Got to love Canadian passports.

Well I think that people have enough to make a decision on, but if others would like to take and old (with footage) and run a test for all of us.

michael
Old March 31st, 2003, 12:34 AM   #33
Trustee

I really think you should be looking elsewhere for the problem. I fly out of TO and as I have said never had an issue, does that rate as a test. I had around two hours of tape from Phoenix around 3 weeks ago with no dropouts.

What about the return trip from Mexico. The problem may not be with Pearson's machines.
Old March 31st, 2003, 01:02 AM   #34
Regular Crew

I saw it on a monitor in Mexico before coming back. I know what you are saying though, I sent some tapes through the scanner in Nirobi last year and had dropout problems, I thought it was the old camera I was using, but don't know.

Could be the tape brand.

Africa- Fugi (some tapes had dropout)
Mexico 1- Panasonic (problem was with 10 tapes)
Mexico 2- Sony (Panasonic was damaged as my test, sony's are fine)
Old March 31st, 2003, 02:49 AM   #35
Trustee

Are you mixing tapes? Fuji, Pana and Sony all in the same camera?
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:58 AM   #36
Obstreperous Rex

Yeah, if you're mixing tape brands (especially Sony vs. Panasonic) without running a head cleaner between brands, then that's probably the cause of your drop outs. This is a far more likely reason than an airport X-ray machine. We've had several discussions going about the pitfalls of tape brand mixing. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:42 PM   #37
New Boot

screening tapes

You have to handle "film" differently than video tape.

You can carry film thru the golden arches, but not thru the x-ray if it is over 800 asa.

Video tape can go thru the x-ray because it is not magnetic. I have flown twice this year overseas and had no trouble with my camcorder bag with all tapes going thru the x-ray machine for your personal stuff.

They tell you everything has to go thru this x-ray machine, but if you look up the TSA rules, and your rights, you will see that, if you want to hand carry something like film, they have to inspect it manually. I just hope they won't want to open it up! They should be able to tell a real 35mm role of film by turning the winder thingy. But, no matter the countries I have been in, Vietnam [during 9-11] Lithuania, dominican republic, Colombia, Venezella, Philippines, India.... I have NOT ever had trouble with DV video tape going thru X-RAY machines.

glenn
Glenn Woiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM   #38
Warden

Glenn recommendation of 800 ISO film or slower (400, 200, 100 etc.) speed film going through X-rays and being safe can be misleading. X-ray dosages are cumulative. That is why the dental technician wears a lead apron. She would be exposed to X-ray dosages day in, day out and would build to a dangerous level.

Film works the same way, each time it passes through an X-ray machine, a base level of fog (exposure) is added enough repeated dosages and even slow film can be ruined.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:54 AM   #39
New Boot

I believe you are right

well....... I have not carried film in a few years. And these days, I imagine there would be more passes through the x-ray machine than in years past.

glenn
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:06 AM   #40
Warden

Also on a multi-leg trip overseas it might ultimately go through an X-ray machine 8 to 10 times. Each pass will add a little fog to the base exposure.

Hand inspection is safest and lead bags are the next best thing.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:14 AM   #41
New Boot

well, these days I would not want to try a lead bag. If they can not see thru it, and it is dense, they want to search it. I have had many screeners tell me everything had to go thru x-ray, and then I read the rules in a magazine while in the air. I carry those rules with me so if need be, I can force them to inspect something rather than x-ray. I wonder what they think could be fit in to a 35mm cartridge?

glenn
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:34 AM   #42
Warden

Our rules do not apply to overseas travel. Foreign inspectors my not hand inspect your film. Lead bags offer some protection against X-rays. It may be over kill for domestic travel, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Old February 25th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #43
Major Player

taqes going through airport security

Hey guys--This is probably a stupid question, but better safe than sorry. I will be taking all my tapes (87 hours worth) on a move from New York to Oregon and will be going through airport security with them. Do I need to worry about them being xrayed? As far as I know, only magnetic fields can destroy tape, not x-rays, but I just want to make sure, for obvious reasons. I have backed up about 70 hrs of ftg and will be Fedexing that to myself, but there is still 17 hrs that I only have one copy of. Also, I'll be taking two external hard drives through security. OK, thanks for the advice!

Peter
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #44
Major Player

I think there's been a good amount of discussion here regarding this.
Since I've just returned from 3 location shoots in the past month, we haven't had any problems with running tapes through machines. I would not check them with baggage however- always hand carry.

Good luck,
Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #45
Major Player

thanks Jeff!
Peter Richardson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line