Suggestion to capture mini dv tape at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestion to capture mini dv tape

Hello guys, i'm planning to buy a camera as a deck to transfer the video taken by GL2, any suggestion that will work fine with this application.

Yeah i've seen that any minidv camera will do but, by any chance, does anyone have experience in doing this? or all of you use a high-priced deck? would like to get some feedback which model of camcorder is best in doing this in terms of robustness and price. thank you very much.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Hello guys, i'm planning to buy a camera as a deck to transfer the video taken by GL2, any suggestion that will work fine with this application.

Yeah i've seen that any minidv camera will do but, by any chance, does anyone have experience in doing this? or all of you use a high-priced deck? would like to get some feedback which model of camcorder is best in doing this in terms of robustness and price. thank you very much.
Im new myself, but I bought along with my gl2 a zr200. It was the best move I made. It captures like a champ. Feels solid.
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I use Canon GL2 to video and my Canon Elura is hooked up via firewire to my PC for video capture. Works great!
Danny Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

canon?

i have been considering this exact idea. do you think one should stay with the same brand or buy a more econimical brand?

gus
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I also use a gl2 and a zr200. I have also used the zr200 to pass through my 8 year old analog video from my sony and it works like a champ.
Old September 27th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen
i have been considering this exact idea. do you think one should stay with the same brand or buy a more econimical brand?

gus
I've got GL2 too, and planning to get the low cost sony to hook into PC via firewire. I think it wouldn't make any difference if it has different brands, just don't mix brand of tapes, because of the different lubrication it uses which are discussed on other threads.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #7
Regular Crew

'Just thought I'd chime in. My first camera was an Optura 20. I now use it primarily for capturing tapes shot in my GL2. Works great.

Concerning the same brand, I suppose you could run a slightly higher risk of tape alignment problems or LP mode issues with different brands, but this is only speculation on my part and should be considered as such. My cameras just happen to be the same brand, though I have used the Optura to capture footage taken by other cameras as well (Canon XL1s, Sony PD-150 in DV mode, plus JVC and RCA camcorders, maybe even a Sharp once).
There's no way for you to know if what I'm saying is true unless you know what the truth is, and there's no way for you to know what the truth is unless there is a truth that you can know. -- Frank Peretti
Jeremy Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #8
Fred Retread

I use my Pany GS200 for capturing it's own tapes plus those of my GL2 and VX2100. No problems.

And with all due respect, since the "use one brand of tape" thing was mentioned, I want to give equal time to the other point of view: I consider that advice baseless, and I have always ignored it with great success.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line