Long Preformance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The Long Black Line
Tape, tape and more tape; and decks; HDV, DV, VHS and more.

Old October 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Long Preformance

I've got to tape an about 80 min show this friday. Whats the best way to do this? I'm thinking I'll go with an 80 min tape, but are there any other options?

I have a PD170 and I might be able to get my hands on a TRV-950 to tape in between switching the tape, but then spliting my audio becomes a problem too. I'm not neccesarly afraid of using the 80's but I'm just wondering about my other options. Any body had problems w/ the 80 mins?

Thanks
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Got a laptop with some hard drive space free? Use firewire out from the cam and record directly to the hard drive for the whole show?
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #3
Wrangler

In the past Sony recommended against using the 80 minute tapes. They're thinner than 60 minute tapes so there's a possibility of stretching and creating dropouts. I used some of them without problems for performances several years ago, but haven't touched them since then. Since I tape our shows on at least two nights I can edit them together to deal with the 60 minute tapes.

The TRV-950, VX-2000, VX-2100 and other consumer cameras can work in DV LP mode to give you enough recording time on a 60 minute tape.

If you have a Powerbook you could use BTV pro to capture directly:

http://www.bensoftware.com/btvpro.html
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Do you know of any software for Windows? I have PP but not on the laptop. I already ordered some 80 tapes so thats probably what I'll do. I never thought about doing one half one night and the other half the other night. I'll give that some consideration.

Thanks
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

Does Sony make 80 minute tapes? I've never seen them - I think the ones I've seen were made by Panasonic. That's one reason I don't use them in my Sony cameras, because I don't want to mix brands.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah, Sony does make 80 min. mini DV tapes. I've already ordered some, but I'm actually trying to work with the preformance director to find a good place to switch tapes in between scene shifts to avoid the problem all together.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Thanks for the other solutions, I'll keep them in mind!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The Long Black Line